Had a bad day, need parts

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ceveland

Had a bad day, need parts

Post by Ceveland »

Hello everyone. Long story short, one of my pilots flipped over my beautiful polish 1952 170B on landing. It was a weather related accident.

So now I had the wonderful task of getting pricing and parts for the repair. If anybody has any ideas where I can find the following parts, I’d greatly appreciate.

Rear carry thru spar 0512124-6
Complete Engine cowling for C-145
Aft wing spar both wings, LH 0523400-50 RH 0523400-51

It might be cheaper just to replace those wings vs repairing. If anybody has a set of of good wings that do not need to be repaired. I’d be interested in that too.

Thanks guy for your help.
GAHorn

Re: Had a bad day, need parts

Post by GAHorn »

This is another chance to get the incorrect parts….. When you say you need parts for a ‘52 170-B… It ‘s better to use the Serial Number when shopping for parts.

What popped out at me was your search for cowling. The cowling changed during the 1952 production-year…because by the end of that year…Cessna was rolling 1953 year-models out the door…which used a pressure-cowl instead of the earlier “dog house/clam-shell” cowl…. yet those ‘53 model-year Cessna’s were registered as ‘52 models by FAA. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Ceveland

Post by Ceveland »

Thank you for the advice, I’m SN 20299 and I do have the dog house/clam shell cowl. I think this will be one of the hardest parts to find or have made. I see the nose bowl on univair but the shaping of the top and bottom cowling will be tricky.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ceveland wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:20 am Thank you for the advice, I’m SN 20299 and I do have the dog house/clam shell cowl. I think this will be one of the hardest parts to find or have made. I see the nose bowl on univair but the shaping of the top and bottom cowling will be tricky.
Not promoting it….. but…might be an opportunity to convert to the later cowl……which was used thru the early 172 series as well.

Airforms makes all the baffles…for both styles of cowling…. https://www.airforms.biz/index.php?rout ... path=20_59
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessnut

Post by cessnut »

You might be surprised how repairable that cowl is. The upper cowl doors do not have any compound shape and are very easy to fabricate. The nose bowl is soft aluminum and can be reworked by a skilled person. The lower cowl halves are the trickiest, but once again the right guy with an English wheel can either repair yours or make new ones if they are cracked too badly.