Is this bracket original and what’s it for??

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

a320Scott

Is this bracket original and what’s it for??

Post by a320Scott »

Hey all,
After months of searching we found a 1955 170B and bought it back in November. Great plane - love this thing!
I’m trying to do minor improvements , but keep it as original as possible. I’m going to add a usb charge port - bought the stratus port. Want to mount it below the panel and incorporate the rheostats for glare shield lighting.
Here is a picture of what I’m starting with. These brackets are riveted on, so assuming original? What’s the big one sticking out used for? Hand mic maybe? Don’t have a hand mic.
Looking for ideas to clean things up and install under panel.
Thoughts? If you have pics of your install, that would be great.
Thanks,
Scott
Attachments
IMG_8385.jpeg
IMG_8942.jpeg
IMG_8944.jpeg
n2582d

Re: Is this bracket original and what’s it for??

Post by n2582d »

Short answer: Yes, that is a microphone bracket. p/n 0713203-1.
Long answer: On the hidden portion of the bracket is there a female receptacle for a microphone jack as shown here?
Screen Shot 2024-01-25 at 10.38.58 AM.png
The very first major alteration (337) form for your plane is for the addition of radios. It was outfitted with "Selection #6 Narco Super Homer VHT-2" and "Selection #8 Narco receiver" by Ralph Bevan Radio Company in Wichita on July 19, 1955 -- shortly after leaving the factory I presume. Without seeing this 337 form for your plane I mistakenly assumed your plane would have originally had General Electric radios because of the number stamped on that bracket. It looks like 2055. I think this is a G.E. number because the '48 IPC lists the part pictured in fig. 48-15 (General Electric Radio Installation) as 205S and, in the numerical index as 2055. Four digit part numbers are not typical for Cessna-produced parts. For later models (post s/n 18573) my guess is that Cessna bought this part from G.E. and gave it their own part number -- 0713203-1 -- which you can see in several of the stationary panel drawings shown in the IPC.
Last edited by n2582d on Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If you need to replace that “lost” GE…. The Assocn has one for a small donation. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
a320Scott

Post by a320Scott »

Ok, thanks for the info. Behind that mic bracket is now 2 circuit breakers- COM 1 & COM 2. No hookup for mic.
I’d like to remove that bracket and the bracket with the rheostats to the right of it (both riveted on) and make a new bracket to hold a pull switch for glare shield lights, usb charging port, and current rheostats. (you can see the rigged setup to the right of rheostats for on/off toggle (toss that switch)
I’m guessing I could mount the new bracket under instrument panel to the right of flap handle swing - like the circuit breakers in front of pilot.
Thoughts on where I want to put it? Anyone have pics of this addition on their plane? Spruce only has one type of pull switch - any pull switches on the market that look similar to the original ones in the plane?
Thnx