Yellow Flying Machines

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

blueldr

Yellow Flying Machines

Post by blueldr »

I'm thinking about having my "alternate" '56 model painted and I'm interested in yellow. Does anyone have any colored pictures of a yellow 170? I'd really appreciate your sending anything available.
My "alternate" airplane is the spare I keep around in case I really screw up and bust my "primary", and I really, really did.
What color do the rest of you guys paint your spare airplanes?
BL
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I keep my spare/next airplane in the back of my mind--it's any color I want it to be that day!
I can barely afford the one (real) airplane I've got now! :cry: No spares for me!

Eric
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

My "alternate" airplane is currently owned by Avemco in the form of an insurance policy!

Nice hearing from you BL. I have seen a lot of pretty yellow airplanes. One that stands out is a 190 I sold that was just the perfect shades of yellow and a creamy off white that really looked sharp.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

My spare airplane should be yellow but in fact is a green and white Cub. I think yellow could work on a 170 but I'd make it a bright or lighter yellow not the orange yellow I see on some Cubs. I'd also avoid a black lightning stripe on the side 8O
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
C170BDan

paint idea

Post by C170BDan »

BL... Since I am a big fan of the stock scheme on the 56... how about a overall white with a blue and yellow 56 paint scheme? My web site has pictures of my stock 56 and the paint scheme is from the factory. Just my two cents...

http://www.dtlinn.com

Blue Skies,
Dan
1956 170B N3467D
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

BL, there are TWO yellow 170's based at my airport, GPM! Pat's is an A model, and Chuck's is a B model. They are both show stoppers! Very, Very, Very pretty airplanes. Chuck's has a Garmin 430 in the panel and he has had the plane around 40 years. Pat is a co-pilot of the local B17 and T6 over at Ft Worth and helps maintain those two aircraft. So, like Chuck's, his 170 is very well maintained. Short story - 170's look fantastic in yellow.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
N1277D

Color for Alternate Airplanes

Post by N1277D »

A buddly of mine, who flies a 182 in the Idaho backcountry painted it mustard yellow with red (ketchup) stripes. At the Smiley Creek flyin a few years ago, it stood out very visible among the 50 of so aircraft there. It looks good yellow and red and no one can miss it.

We also have a 1946 Stinson 108 with a 165 Franklin in it, white and blue strips, and a PA32-301T with a white base and blue strips. The 170 is polished aluminum with red strips. The Stinson will need the fuselage covered in a few years and we are thinking about red (base) and yellow stripes for it.
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

Yellow looks good but its for people who are scared of Orange! :wink:
C170BDan

orange

Post by C170BDan »

Wait a minute... wernt you once scared of orange? And one of your airplanes you painted white/blue/yellow...
Dan
1956 170B N3467D
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

The only airplane I care for in yellow is a Cub. No offense.
There's a Canadian 170B based on the ramp at Blaine WA painted yellow,looks like it mighta been sprayed on (or rolled on?) right there on the ramp. Not enough yellow paint to quite cover the zinc chromate underneath. It used to be painted just plain old dark green zinc chromate,I was told that the owner went with the yellow just for viz in case he went down in the bush.

Eric
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Yellow is for Cubs and Stearmans. Red is for Pitts Specials. Cessnas should be white or aluminum with almost any color trim.
Just my opinion-
Rudy
djbaker

yellow flying machines

Post by djbaker »

Hello Dick, Look on susan's website. There are several good examples of a yellow paint job especially the last one on the site. Your plane is on there as is mine with your engine. Good Luck with Yellow. Her website is:susang777.home.mindspring.com/170pics
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

zero.one.victor wrote:The only airplane I care for in yellow is a Cub. No offense.
There's a Canadian 170B based on the ramp at Blaine WA painted yellow,looks like it mighta been sprayed on (or rolled on?) right there on the ramp. Not enough yellow paint to quite cover the zinc chromate underneath. It used to be painted just plain old dark green zinc chromate,I was told that the owner went with the yellow just for viz in case he went down in the bush.

Eric
What for? Hoping everyone would ignore him? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bruce, I believe that ugly-on-anything-but-a-Piper Cub yellow is called "chrome" yellow. :wink:

I agree with Rudy...and there's a 170A in my neck of the woods that someone doubtlessly is very proud of it's Christen Eagle paint scheme. I have to admit, I hope he's not reading this, that scheme is drop-dead gorgeous on a Christen, but it's possibly the ugliest paint scheme I've ever seen on a 170. 8O
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

With my tan and brown colors I have thought a bit about the visibility if I went down, especially in the desert. Also the visibility of my plane flying from a plane above me. If you share these concerns think about the terrain color you'll be flying over. Yellow is pretty good overall in that regard.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

According to the U. S. Army, their highest inflight collision rate was with airplanes painted up in International Orange tips and tail feathers.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)