Flap play

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Tim Harter

Flap play

Post by Tim Harter »

We have been flying our 170 for over a year now. How much play (vertical and horizontal) should the flaps have? I noticed at the annual the a couple flap bolts have put a small notch in the flap false spar when they go to 40 degrees. I didn't notice it when we did the flap roller kit as it only does it with an air load. It's all new rollers, bolts, washers and nuts from McFarlane. It seems like there is a fair amount of play in the flaps but i haven't been around Cessnas for quite some time. Thanks.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Flap play

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Did you check the flap roller slots to make sure the slots were not worn to wide? MacFarlane makes a tool to make this job easy. I think around $40

Otherwise with everything within spec, there is a fair amount of play in the flaps as the rollers don't (can't) fit tight in the track.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

A 39/64ths drill bit stem can be tried to slip into the flap tracks as a quick-and-dirty check. If the smooth portion of the bit (stem) easily slips anywhere in either slot... the flap track exceeds limits.

The specified limit is 0.6035.

A 39/64 drill bit is 0.6094.
Attachments
CLICK TO ENLARGE
CLICK TO ENLARGE
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Tim Harter

Post by Tim Harter »

The slots are fine. I guess I’m more worried about the side play and the little notch in the false spar from the bolt. I’ll see if I can get a picture Thursday.