Flying to a Ski Resort

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Spare Tire-Tube

Post by 170C »

Several folks also carry an inflated spare tire, tube & tailwheel. Adds more weight, but eliminates having to pump up a spare or disassemble the tailwheel, etc.

Would be interested is suggestions for a source for a "spare" tail wheel. Don't need or particularily want a "new" one. I doubt many salvage yards have them as not many tailwheel cessnas or others end up in salvage yards. Sources:______________?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Locate an old derelict taildragger & scavenge the tailwheel. The owner will never miss it.....

Eric (writing from the county lockup) :oops:
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

There are only two tailwheels that are commonly installed---Scott and Maule. Scott makes the vast majority, and the majority of those are the 3200. Tailwheels for a spare are quite readily available from the junkies. I had no trouble at all a couple of years ago and found quite a few. Prices varied and I bought one that was rough but cheap. I wouldnt care to have it as my regular wheel, but it sure has brought me home! Not many guys put a brand new Goodyear Golden Eagle as a spare under the bed on their pickup either.
BL
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

When flying to a ski resort :lol:

How often does one need a new tube, to justify hauling one around for years? Where do you draw the line at carrying parts and tools just in case you might need one? Some of you experienced pilot/mechanics know the American wrenches most used and parts most often needed on 170's. Do we have a basic tools kit listed somewhere? Times have changed - #1. Cell phone / Charger :D
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

You only need the tube once,to make packing it around for years worth while. Actually,it's no bother at all,like I said it's tiewrapped to a bulkhead behind the baggage bay,so I never even see it unless I'm back in there monkeying with something else. They're old parts,so zero cost. Kinda like hull insurance--a total waste of money til you need to make a claim!

Eric
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Alright I'm throwing the old patched tube in with me for my trip to Tex this morn, or tomorrow, or the next day. Can't believe it's so warm down here in the winter! Love it!!!!!!!! :D
flyguy

TUBES SCHMOOBS

Post by flyguy »

I carry as a spare an old t/w tire that I filled with that styrefoam from one of them little spray cans from ACE hardware store. I put the tire on the wheel without a tube, inserted the small pipe that comes on the can and let her go. It took me a couple of adjustments to get it close enough to put a little pressure on the bead when the wheel halves were tightened down. I don't know that it needed pressure on the beads but that was what I shot for. I do not intend to use it for anything other than to "get back home" on. I figure it weighs less than a tube and 12V air compressor and eliminates the chance of pinching the tube on an emergency field assembly. MFWIW
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Have you ever seen styrofoam after it's been vibrated for a while? Pure powder. (And by the way, ...I don't know about all that humid swamp-air over there in Looeasyana, but over here in Teks-us (GW-speak) the air don't weigh nothing at all. It's all hot! :lol:
And AR Dave, those of us with a little extra speed don't mind carrying it around for the someone who has trouble keeping up, like you-know-who! :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Unlike Georgie Boy and Flyguy, AR Dave knows that Styrofoam is a brand name of products that uses expanded polystyrene. Flyguy did not fill up a tire with expanded polystyrene - doubt that he has a steam mold, or that he would have used it for that, it does not come in a can. :wink:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
flyguy

WAL BLO ME FUL O FOAMY STYRO SUMPIN!

Post by flyguy »

JOEY! JOEY! JES IGGYNORE GAYHORN AN GO TU THU ACE HARDY WEAR STOAR AN AXE FER SUM STYER FOAM IN A CAN AN YOULL GIT SUM STUFF THAT BLOES OUTA LIL PIPE WHEN U PUSH THU BUTTIN AN SWOLES UP BOUT TEN TIMES AN IS TUFFER THAN LOOSIYANA GATOR HIDE AN STIKS TU EENY THANG. (COMES TU MIND SUMPIN I HEARD; LOOKS LAK A DUK QWAKS LAK A DUK HIT MITE BE A DUK!) AND I DOANT CARE WHAR YU TAKE IT IT, HOW RAPID YU VIBARATE IT ORE WHAT KINNA AIR ITSA GONNA BE USE IT IN IT WOANT FIBRATE TU POWDER! I AINT A TALKIN BOUT BUBBLE RAP OR INSULBEAD BUT SUM STIKY STUF THA TURNS TUFFF N HARD WHEN EXPOSED! (*IDEA!)

*(IDEA) MAYBE I SHUD USE IT FER SUMPIN ELSE TOO :twisted:
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

OH, that STUFF! That's not Styrofoam, that's Expandofoam! Bad Idea, if it comes off inside the intended application, it always just keeps expanding and expanding when you would like it to stop! :lol: Georges vibrations would not help at that point. 8O
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
AR Dave

Found a Ski Resort

Post by AR Dave »

Well my son & I took off yesterday in 72 deg weather with my tail wheel tube, tent, & sleeping bags, in the back seat. Going to look for Ski Resorts at Texarkana & Palestine. Just passed Mt Ida, 66 nm from TXK, the ceiling was just too low and our ground speed was only 60 mph. We banked 180 as the view went temporarily blind and boy did we drop fast. Had to power up to keep her above ground, we descended the mile or 2 back to Bearce – Mt Ida, 7M3, Airport, to ask if there were any ski resorts around there. Enough is enough in wind, rain, & poor visibility. X-wind landing was better than my terrible x-wind takeoff back in Russellville. I get rusty so fast!
Mt Ida Airport has a nice restaurant, excellent food, hospitality, 12 room motel ($42/night), gas station (9 yr old son and I went 3 x for pop and candy). Dr James Fowler Aviation / FBO, has 19,000 hrs and has flown all over the world. Maybe one of you know him? Anyway I recommend Mt Ida and Crystal Inn (in the Flight Guide), at the end of Lake Ouachita, as a neat $100 hamburger fly-in and they told me great skiing also.
Last nights temp dropped to 28 deg (22 wind chill) and where was my pre-heater? We flew straight home at noon. Sure is cold down here!
My son thought that was the greatest time, just he and his dad stranded in Mt Ida watching the weather channel.
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Darn Dave,

Was looking forward to you being in N Texas. Glad the two of you are home safe.

There are GREAT ski resorts there close to where you live. We have skiied all up and down the Arkansas River. Just watch out for the Alligator Gars.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

I just bought me a Northern Companion ( the preheater that is :wink: ) plan to give it a try next weekend when I go up to NH. to shovel out the 170.
I'll let you guy's know how it works out.
Vic
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Joe, I'll try again when I get 3 weeks off in Feb, this morn I have a nice fire burning and the wonderful thing is I didn't need to cut 10 cords of wood this winter.

I also have several questions this am: If new subjects are needed, feel free to transfer:

1.. This week I'm planning on buying some Victor, 1 1/4", Red, Fiberglass Tape, and seal the exhaust leaks under those clamps. I get 6 -10 ppm CO when the cabin air is open. However, the biggest leak looks to be from one of the exhaust gaskets itself at the cylinder. I looked through the Search, but didn't find any mention on gaskets. Instead of the tin gasket, is there anything better?
My mechanic has a thicker gasket that worked on another plane. It is copper looking with white asbestos sandwiched in between. Oreo cookie style.
When opening the Cabin Heat the CO rockets, so I've got to get it welded again while working on this. Dakota and I flew home in our sleeping bags. :) I am so glad I invested in a CO monitor.

2.. George, how do I figure 65% of power? I was flying at almost 2000 ft and not sure how much to lean the engine. Any tutoring in this area would be appreciated.

3.. Someone has put the bug in my wife's ear that we need a Piper 6, with the 260 hp engine. The specific one is $67K. Remember, I've only flown 1 plane & don't really consider myself a pilot. Should I try a Piper 6 on? Theory: The entire family can climb in + cousins + luggage and fly over the VFR. But I do want to retire someday too!