Ideas for Encoder Mounting

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

nippaero

Ideas for Encoder Mounting

Post by nippaero »

I'm looking for some ideas on where to best mount an Ameri-King 350 encoder under the panel. Where/how is yours mounted? The previous owner had it mounted on the side of the panel near the pilots leg. I am replacing the side panels and don't want it there.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
DaveF

Re: Ideas for Encoder Mounting

Post by DaveF »

Mine (different type, but similar size) is attached to the firewall immediately forward of the transponder.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I mounted my Narco encoder on top of the glove box.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

cessna170bdriver wrote:I mounted my Narco encoder on top of the glove box.
Same here.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
170C

Post by 170C »

Mine in on the left side of my glove box.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

I just got through putting a glove box door back on my panel. Someone had removed it a long time ago and installed a radio/ADF in there. I need to build a new glovebox.

Not sure I want to poke any more holes in the firewall.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Aryana wrote:Mine is on the firewall
Is it just using a couple screws and some tinnermans?
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

Left side of glovebox. Solid mount, easy access.
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

Radio shop, many years ago, installed mine on the back of glove box. When I asked why, they said easy access. 8)
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

The problem with mounting the encoder to the glovebox is that you have to move it whenever you pull the glovebox. Seems I have to do that about once a year to install or inspect something up under the instrument panel. Not a huge deal, but I like to keep disassembly and reassembly as simple as possible.
cessna170bdriver

DaveF wrote:The problem with mounting the encoder to the glovebox is that you have to move it whenever you pull the glovebox. Seems I have to do that about once a year to install or inspect something up under the instrument panel. Not a huge deal, but I like to keep disassembly and reassembly as simple as possible.
I must be missing something on annual inspections. I don't think I've had my glovebox out more than twice in 34 years.
Miles

— Thomas Browne
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
DaveF wrote:The problem with mounting the encoder to the glovebox is that you have to move it whenever you pull the glovebox. Seems I have to do that about once a year to install or inspect something up under the instrument panel. Not a huge deal, but I like to keep disassembly and reassembly as simple as possible.
I must be missing something on annual inspections. I don't think I've had my glovebox out more than twice in 34 years.
Me too Miles. Only had mine out once in 46 years and that was to use it as a pattern to build another one. :?
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Not annual, but I installed new radios, new RH side instruments, replaced the instrument suction hoses and vacuum regulator, and replaced the battery-to-ammeter wire. All of that is on the RH side, and on my '54, none of it is possible without removing the glovebox. And I did it in several sessions over several years, so each time I had to pull the glovebox.

My point is that the more you tie stuff together the more difficult you make maintenance and the less likely you are to do it. Or the more expensive it becomes.
cessna170bdriver

I just make it a point to minimize firewall penetrations. I almost came to blows with an AI years ago when he drilled a hole in my original condition firewall to relocate an instrument air filter that I had mounted on the back side of a radio stack support angle, a perfectly serviceable location. I might be talked into double-sided tape to mount an encoder to the firewall but I'd never drill holes in it for screws.
Miles

— Thomas Browne
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

cessna170bdriver wrote:I might be talked into double-sided tape to mount an encoder to the firewall but I'd never drill holes in it for screws.
That's almost what I was thinking. The thing only weighs a few ounces and could be secured with some industrial strength Velcro to the side of the fuselage or firewall. The kind with the little plastic fingers. It is almost impossible to pull apart once you stick it together.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032