Fuel Dipstick

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dj2790

Fuel Dipstick

Post by dj2790 »

Hello, Some time ago I inquired about a dipstick for the 170B model. I received an answer and it related to a Cessna 172 dipstick that was modified (cut at a certain point). I bought the dipstick from Spruce and cut it at the designated place. Low and behold, it worked and was very accurate. Now, the kicker. I lost it in a hanger move. I reordered the part from Spruce, but would like to find that post and the instructions. Can anybody remember that or help out?

Thanks
blueldr

Re: Fuel Dipstick

Post by blueldr »

Why not fly the tank empty and make your own dipstick five gallons at a time. It will be more accurate than any other type. I found that there was a significant difference between the right and left tanks on my airplane.
BL
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

I think what your looking for is in this thread.
http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... ck#p111915
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

I bought two of those C-172 sticks that George talks about. Cut one off at the zero mark like he said. I fueled the plane and using the stick that was cut off to zero I got two extra gallons usable. BUT.....I may have fueled up into the neck of the tank almost to the cap, which would artificially add a bit to the level on the stick.

I did stick the tanks with the fuel down in each tank after flying, and what I put into the tanks fueling only came out to 1 gallon difference than what I expected to put in. I will try it again, but I think his method works just fine.

I have an "A" model BTW.

Cheers,
Bill
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
canav8

Post by canav8 »

I have the index for a "B" model if anyone wants it. I made a Dipstick about 10 years ago. It is graduated in 1 gallon incremints if anybody needs it. I made the stick after reading an article in Sport Aviation.They are easy to make and I think I still have some acrylic material left if anybody wants a short piece. The acrylic is $5 a piece. shoot me a PM if your interested. Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Thanks for this... I wasn't aware of that thread!