INSTRUMENT LIGHTING (Instrument light Rheostat info)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dacker

INSTRUMENT LIGHTING (Instrument light Rheostat info)

Post by dacker »

I am currently looking at replacing my instrument lighting and would like a few ideas on what others have used. I am looking at glareshield lighting that is supposedly STC'ed (Aero Enhancements) and looks like it would be the simplest replacement for the stock lights, that is if it can be used in lieu of the stock lighting. I have seen the NULITES and they look nice but maybe a little more work to install and a little more expensive (plus I don't believe that they will illuminate the entire panel). I had post lights on everything that I flew in the military... no thanks.
David
9584A
flyguy

PANEL LIGHTING

Post by flyguy »

David, You didn't say what model you fly and that makes a little difference in my solution. I sold the thing some time back but I had a plexiglass panel that had lighting through the painted plex and little post lites for enhanced illumination. Univair used to have the little Grimes post lites and they are simple to install.
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

GAR---What part of "post lights... no thanks" did you not understand? :lol:
David, I've seen the NULITES installations, and I was surprised how nicely they worked. They don't make 'em for the original AN gyros, but the newer 3 1/8" and the 2 1/4" instruments are served by them just fine. I'll bet you'll like 'em.

(Of course, bein' an original type guy, I like my red overhead Grimes torpedos just fine, and I do a lot of night flying. Anybody got a spare torpedo? PM me, ...I need a spare.)
Last edited by GAHorn on Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dacker

Post by dacker »

Ole Gar & Geo thanks! I have a '49 A model. The only problem I had with the post lights was the fact that it seemed like I was always fiddling with them trying to make them work. But since I still have the original DG, Nulites might not work. The glare shield lighting I was talking about looks like it would be the easiest solution but I am wondering if it would be legal. I believe it is STC'ed but I am not sure if I could use it as a replacement for the original lights. Check out the website http://www.aeroenhancements.com. There is also a good example on the selkirk web site under 170 refurbishments. George when you talk about the Grimes torpedo are you talking about the detachable light that has white and red lenses, I wouldn't mind installing one of these as well.
David
dkalwishky

Post by dkalwishky »

I have the NU-LITES installed in my 172 and they work great. My only complaint is that they recess the instrument further back into the panel a little bit. My '56 C172 has an overlay over the panel so looking at the instrument at an angle and now that it's recessed a little more, can be hard to see. In other words with it recessed and you look at it from an angle part of the instrument is hidden. Of course my panel has had the problem from day one with the stupid overlay on it.

If you want to see a picture send me an e-mail and I will send one back so you can see what I am talking about.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Nulites are ordinarily installed betwixt the instrument and the panel, but in many instances they can also be installed on the pilot's side of the mounting panel and they will still work just fine.
The regular 3 1/8" Nulite will probably work just fine with the DG, David, but you'll have to figure out how to mount it, as the mounting holes are different. (Glue? Velcro? Extra bolt holes?) But I'll bet it'll lite the instrument just fine.
The Grimes "torpedo" light I was discussing is the same as the "map" light on the pilots doorpost and in the overhead. It's depicted in the IPC on page 117, items 52 and 59, PN 0713017 or PN 0713017-1. (Can't figure why they gave it a dash number just because it's mounted in a different place, it's the same fixture.)
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

The Grimes "torpedo" light

I have the same lights but without red lenses. Where would I find the red covers?

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

The 170 Book lists STC SA152NW: "installation of deck & glare shield (with & without instrument lights). Issued 1-13-75." STC holder is long-time Assn member Bob Schroers of Bellevue Washington. I don't know if he ever sold any of these,or just did the STC for his own installation. He sold his 170 about 5 years ago,but was still listed in the 2001 Assn directory,however I don't see him listed in the 2003 directory. He's getting up there in years,might even has passed away by now. But if ya want to pursue it,email or PM me for his address,etc.
I looked in my Spruce catalog,the Grimes spotlights sell for about a C-note these days. There were some other instrument lighting arrangements shown that looked interesting,but there might not be any approval on them for a 170 installation.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce, the Grimes "torpedo" lights didn't have covers, they had a red lense that was held in their open end by a circlip. I have some of those parts as spares and I'd be happy to send them to you. PM me with an address and how many you need.

The model C4A light sold by Spruce for nearly the "C" note, is NOT the type light I'm referring to. (It'd be a cold day in Hades before I'd spend that much on a light. I've bought the Grimes torpedo lights at fly ins and salvage yards for as little as $5 and as much as $20. Univair sells them new, but they are way outa touch with reality on them.)
dacker

Post by dacker »

Thanks for all the info guys! If you get a chance check out http://www.selkirk-aviation.com and click on the glare shield button. Look down to the C-170 example and maybe you can see where I am going with the glare shield lighting in lieu of my instrument lights. Is this the same STC you referenced Eric? I tried to call Aero Enhancements but the guy I needed to talk to about installation and STCs will be gone until Tuesday. When I find out more I will post.
David
dkalwishky

Post by dkalwishky »

dacker; I looked at this solution before I did the NULITES. After looking at the sel-kirk glareshield and the aeroenhancements lights I don't know why I didn't go that route instead. I think I thought at the time it would be alot more expensive in the long run, to replace the glare shield I would have to probably have the front window pulled out, mine is currently rivited in so that would add ALOT to the cost. If I have the front windshield out I might as well go ahead and replace it (mine is getting quite old). I guess at the time I was trying to get by cheaper..

Dave
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

dacker wrote:Thanks for all the info guys! If you get a chance check out http://www.selkirk-aviation.com and click on the glare shield button. Look down to the C-170 example and maybe you can see where I am going with the glare shield lighting in lieu of my instrument lights. Is this the same STC you referenced Eric? I tried to call Aero Enhancements but the guy I needed to talk to about installation and STCs will be gone until Tuesday. When I find out more I will post.
David
I assume that Selkirk has obtained their own STC. I have seen the panel on Bob Schroers' 170 but don't recall just what the lights looked like. The Selkirk/Aero Enhancement combo looks like it'd be nice,but plenty spendy. Do you have an existing glare shield which would work for mounting the strip lighting? My Spruce catalog has two different strip lights which look similar,one of which is considerably cheaper than the Aero Enhancement product.
I looked in my Univair catalog at the grimes torpedo lights,my price list shows them at $80 a shot. Strip lights on the underside of a glareshield looks like it'd be a better show,but like I said before,they may not be approved for 170's.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:19 pm Post subject: Selkirk Glare Shield

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I seem to be ineligeable to reply or post on the hangar forum of this club, I'll try it here.

On the subject of "Instrument Lighting" on the hangar forum, be advised that the Selkirk Aviation glare shield does not require removal of the windshield for installation.

(This was posted here for BL by me. gh)
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Like George, I use the red grimes lights that came with the airplane (and a handy flashlight just in case). I removed the pretty panel cover because it interfered with the view of the instruments and just have the ugly metal panel - with zinc chromate primer- yechh. But I can plainly see the instruments-day and night.
Rudy
dacker

Post by dacker »

Well I was fiddling around with the stock lights trying to replace the rheostat when a wire fried (it was some really crazy rigging where somebody had wired the circuit hot, bypassing the rheostat with automotive wire). Needless to say I got ticked off and decided to rewire the entire darn panel, there is just too much automotive/household crap behind my panel. Why on earth people can't just do something right the first time is beyond me! Whew... I just had to vent! Anyhow long story short, I am going to be grounded again for a while. I believe my annual last May is going to just turn into a complete rebuild before I am totally happy. I believe I will just go the stock route first then maybe get fancy later.
David