Overhaul time

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Heflin

Overhaul time

Post by Heflin »

Had an oil leak at the oil filter adapter last week and now I'm looking at overhaul.

I got a quote for a little over 14 grand from Jewell in Missouri. I'm shopping around. Any suggestions?

How does a factory overhaul from Continental compare in price?

Thanks,
Rob
ISAIAH 40:31
170C

Re: Overhaul time

Post by 170C »

There is an overhaul facility in Plano (Dallas) TX that I believe their name is Lycoming Overhaul but they also do Continentals. A friend of mine has mentioned them a couple of times as he is getting a lot of time on his O-300C. Their internet price is around $14k and I think another $2500 if you choose to get new ECI cylinders. You might check on the net and if you don't find it, let me know and I will get you the name when I see my friend. One of our members here in TN has his engine being overhauled by a company in Alabama, but I think he told me it was going to cost him around $18k. In any situation its important to get in writing what the overhaul facility is going to provide and what other, if any, costs are likely to be.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

Hi Rob,

Did you try https://www.overhaulbids.com ? I've seen a few articles about this site, and it's an interesting concept. BTW, with the price of new cylinder assemblies so low, I wouldn't even consider an overhaul that uses o/h'd cylinders.

It's kind of a shame hardly anybody field overhauls engines anymore. All the manuals are available, it's not hard, and you can really save some money. For a long time field overhauls were really common and airplanes didn't fall out of the sky.

DEM
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There is a lot of difference in so-called field "overhauls"... they are usually more correctly called "repairs".
Unless you get a detailed bid itemizing each/every process and repair... it's difficult to actually make comparisons. (Will the oil pump be NEW? or "inspected and approved" or simply looked at? What about the other gears? What about the impulse couplings?) True "overhauls" usually run more along $20K and UP.

Don't forget your accessories (mags, generator/alternator, vac-pump?, starter, starter clutch/gear, etc.

How many C145?O300 engines have they actually done in the last few years? and for WHOM? (references you can call)

How far will you have to ship that engine if it needs warranty? And who pays for that removal and reinstall?
What if the facility is out of YOUR state? What state's laws apply to your recourse if you have a problem?

What I'm saying is: If you can have a shop that does it "turn-key" and is located nearby, that's a big PLUS.

You are next-door to Arkansas where Mena Aircraft Engines is located, and they have an excellent reputation and our Member Del Lehmann (wingnut) is right next door should you need a referral or airframe work while the engine is being done.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Do you really need an "overhaul" ?

How many hours are on the engine at this point?

The bottom end of the old Continental O-300 is pretty bullet proof, and is generally good for a couple of sets of cylinders and cylinder clean ups.

How is the oil pressure holding up when the engine is hot ?

What are the indications that you need a complete overhaul ?

Judicious repair can save an owner a lot of money.
BL
Heflin

Post by Heflin »

Started making metal. Oil temp is pegging out after about 5 minutes flight. Oil pressure is 30# in flight. Running like it is missing.

I have right at 1700 hours on it and it was running fine until it leaked almost all of the oil out in flight.
ISAIAH 40:31
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Oh, boy ! In retrospect, I think you have a very likely candidate for an overhaul.
BL
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

As George mentioned, Mena Aircraft Engines is a great shop. They are not the only great shop. As a result of increased volume of work, we have recently started using Custom Airmotive in Tulsa, as well as the shop here in Mena. I'm very satisfied with both shops
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

I used Aviation Engines in Centreville, AL. about 14 years ago. They are conveniently located on the Bibb County airport (0A8) if you need to go back for some fine tuning or whatever. They used ECI cylinders and put on the oil filter adapter. They provided pick up and delivery for me here in North Mississippi.

http://www.aviationengines.net/5001.html
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D