Door catch/Throttle knob/Oil temperature

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cjfereday

Door catch/Throttle knob/Oil temperature

Post by cjfereday »

Three questions Folks:

Does anyone have the door catch that is screwed on the rear door frame? Need one.

Does anyone have an original plastic knob for the end of the throttle? Mine is a retrofit from a 150 and I would like to get an original.

My Oil temp is fine in the summer, In the winter it rarely comes off the low peg, what is the best way to keep it a little warmer??

Thanks, Clint
n2582d

Re: Door catch/Throttle knob/Oil temperature

Post by n2582d »

McFarlane p/n EC125-1 will have to be painted to match the original color.
Gary
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Clint, check this thread for a discussion of winterization plates. There are others, but this should get you started. Hope this helps!
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Using a long BBQ thermometer inserted into the dipstick tube, confirm your oil temp gauge is reading somewhere near correctly. This is easily done immediately after landing. Low oil temps are rarely actual in the C-145/O-300 series. (The original gauge is an alcohol-filled capillary tube. If the alcohol escapes (usually thru the diaphragm) then the gauge will read low. If the diaphragm develops hysteresis (stretches/elasticity-loss) it will read high.)

It would be helpful if you used a parts catalog to identify exactly which door part you request. TIC170A may have one, however it'll be this next weekend before I can confirm it.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cjfereday

Post by cjfereday »

Thanks for the tip on the throttle...trying to keep it original! Will get a thermometer to check accuracy of oil guage. Is there any thoughts about covering the hole in the cowl that leads to the sump in the winter? We are in Michigan and it get pretty darn cold!
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

Look at the throttle cable pic in my group of parts for sale on this folder. Is this the throttle you wanted? It is 48" off my 55 170B. $40 will make it worth my time to package and ship it to you. JN https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bp827vjlp90o ... lIMfGvHpqa