Oil Screen Threads

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Andre_C

Oil Screen Threads

Post by Andre_C »

Would anyone know the thread size for the large oil screen in the accessory case?
1953 C170B N3276A
n2582d

Re: Oil Screen Threads

Post by n2582d »

The threads on my F&M oil filter adapter measure 1 3/4" X 16. If you're planning on cleaning the threads F&M loans out a thread chaser. Search "thread chaser" (with quotation marks) at the top of the screen for further information.
Gary
Andre_C

Post by Andre_C »

Thanks for the quick reply. We have the best group of people in this club. :D

I was installing my F&M filter and ran into the adapter cutting threads into the sides of the accessory case. I ordered a tap to chase the threads.

After I'm finished, I was thinking about donating the tap to the 170 Association members to help anyone that runs into the same problem.

Thanks again!!!
1953 C170B N3276A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Andre, ... that's a really sweet and generous idea (donating a tool after you're finished with it.)

I've made several efforts to create a "tool lending library" and each came to nought. The shipping and return-shipping costs belay the advantage of simply owning or borrowing the tool locally.
Then there's the matter of securing the tool with a deposit to ensure the return.
Then there's the matter of a timely return so the next person can use it.
Then there's the matter of receiving the returned tool in a CLEAN and undamaged state.

Shamefully... the idea withered on the vine due to lack of interest. :(

Perhaps an expensive tool might work in such a scheme, I thought.

Nope. The tool was "lost" and postal insurance will not cover used tools, only new items with proof-of-purchase, and even then the insurance only coves the shipper...not the owner. :?

Again, thanks for the thought, however!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)