How does spam like this end up in our forum...?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

spduffee

Post by spduffee »

N5448C -1950 170-A
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: How does spam like this end up in our forum...?

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

It gets here because we have an attractive forum when it comes to traffic. It is a numbers game. We have controls to stop auto spamming, though they are probably getting pretty smart, so someone takes the time to do it manually. They have to create an email address, go to the forum and sign up, then find the email to activate the account and execute it. Then log in and post there.

And very shortly after that their account gets deactivated and their spam deleted and they have to start all over again.

I know your just curious but when someone reacts to the spam by posting about it it makes our job harder. We not only have to deactivate the account and delete the posts, we then have to look and manually delete or adjust posts about the spam.

Best thing to do is mark the post as spam and that is it.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

And if you comment about spam to much you will wind up with an avatar like mine!
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce and I sometimes handle it differently... I usually permanently ban the offender, then delete the entire thread.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I would guess that we have a very few members in Hawaii, but all this unfavorable discussion of SPAM would be a sore subject over there. After all, Hawaii is the center of the SPAM world when referring to the canned pork product.
BL
canav8

Post by canav8 »

blueldr wrote:I would guess that we have a very few members in Hawaii, but all this unfavorable discussion of SPAM would be a sore subject over there. After all, Hawaii is the center of the SPAM world when referring to the canned pork product.
Truck Drivers would also take offense. SPAM is a primary staple for a lot of truckers!
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I don't remember Spam from my truck driving days, but that was one helluva long time ago. Maybe it hadn't been invented. My recollection is that life was maintained by the "Hot Beef Sandwich" at $.35 at most truck stops. It consisted of a slice of some sort of roast beef on a slice of white bread covered with brown gravy along with a scoop of mashed potatoes and more of the same gravy, Coffee was a nickle and a piece of apple pie was another dime. Now they want a buck just for the coffee!
BL
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

blueldr wrote:................................ Now they want a buck just for the coffee!
Dick, you obviously do not buy your coffee at Starbucks!!!!!! :lol:
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

John,I almost feel ashamed to admit it, but I honestly have never tried a cup of Starbucks Coffee. In view of their apparent world wide popularity, I feel deprived a bit. (But, not too much.)
My recollection of the best coffee I ever drank, or made, was boiled in an old no.10 can when I was flying around up in Alaska in the old UC-64 Noorduyn Norseman, on floats or skiis, and consumed out of a GI canteen cup. Goddamn, Sam, those were the days!
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

johneeb wrote:
blueldr wrote:................................ Now they want a buck just for the coffee!
Dick, you obviously do not buy your coffee at Starbucks!!!!!! :lol:
I can't believe I'm going to admit this, but the only example I can give of my sweetheart Jamie repeatedly ridiculing me is my Starbucks experience.
Not familiar with their silly terminology for a cup of coffee... one Sat. morning I awoke and, eager to hit the road for home from the day-job, I skipped breakfast and jumped in the truck and headed down the freeway.
As I drove thru Grand Prairie, a DFW-area surrounded community, I saw their sign
starbucks-new-logo.jpg
starbucks-new-logo.jpg (138.28 KiB) Viewed 10752 times

As I hurriedly entered the place (which was almost empty at 9:30 AM) one of the three girls said, "Hello, Sir! What can we do for you?"

Me, observing the lineup of cars at the drive-thru window, and happy to see no line of customers inside: "I'd like a tall cup of coffee!"
She: "OK. It'll take a minute, we'll have to brew some fresh. We sold out a short time ago."

This caught be by surprise. A coffee shop out of brewed coffee?
I perused the bakery-counter and added: "And I'll have a slice of this bannana-nut bread."

She: "Would you like that warmed up?"
Me: "Sure"
She placed it into a microwave, heated it for a half-minute, and handed it to me on a napkin.
I pulled out my wallet and offered to pay now, rather than later fumble with wallet while holding hot coffee (which was still brewing).
She handed me the reciept for ELEVEN DOLLARS and forty-cents. 8O

After what seemed forever, (my banana bread now cold), she poured coffee for three waiting cars, exchanged money with them, had unnecessary conversation with each of them, ...and finally poured coffee into about a 4-ounce paper-cup and proudly set it before me. :(

Me: "THAT'S a TALL.??? ...," I asked incredulously!..and then further, .."What in hell would a SMALL coffee be..?!?!?", I demanded!

She, giving me a smirking-look, :? ....held up a small, paper shot-glass.

I was so disgusted with the wait and the ridiculousness of the entire experience slammed the nut-bread back onto their countertop beside the coffee and stormed out of that place, never, ever, to return! :x I thought, I'll show THEM! I'll never set FOOT in that place. EVER! :evil:

I drove about 20 miles, entered a Quick-Stop grocery, paid a dollar for a 16-ounce cup of brown, colored-water, and drove the four hours home.

When I arrived, Jamie met me at the door with a kiss, and asked, "How was your drive home?"

When I described my Starbucks experience, she asked, "Did you get your money back?"

Me: 8O 8O

She: "Well, ... I guess it's true. That GREEN Starbucks sign definitely makes YOU SLOW!" :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I am drinking a cup of McCafe coffee at McDonald s in St Louis MO. Unusual store at Hwy 40/64 and Hanley road. Very busy place . Open 24 hours .Most other Macs sell coffee w senior discount at. .54 per cup

.35 cents for a cup plus .03 cents Tax so .38 total.

McDonalds studied coffee and significantly improved the taste of their brew. I prefer it.

I am not a cheap skate I am frugal.

Why are we discussing coffee?

Spam is bad . I would like to see them in Jail.

Regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

MoonlightVFR wrote:Why are we discussing coffee?
Because we can.

And we do a fine job discussing spam spam spam......oh oh I almost broke out in song ala Monty Python.

And we have even interjected a little Green vs Red into it. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Next time you are in Minnesota on interstate 90 stop in Austin and check out the Spam museum!

http://www.spam.com/spam-101/the-spam-museum
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

SPAM should be in everyone's survival kit.
Another good product for that purpose is canned, corned-beef, (also sardines and herring. often packed in oil) which comes with an opener-key. The cans may be used to cook within and boil water.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Peanut butter is the best airplane survival food although I also carry those malt flavored tablets they sell at gun shows just for variety. Neither Spam nor any other potted or canned meat is on my list.
Last edited by hilltop170 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!