George has a GPS!

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

I've had my color 295 for about 2.5 years and love it ! It's mounted horizontally on my yoke and I never noticed any control imbalance.

It's powered from the panel cigar lighter and I have an external fuselage top-mounted antenna which made all the difference. Previously, I would occasionally lose all signals due to interference with some VHF frequenncies, a bug which Garmin told me about. For example, whenever I tuned the Pompano ATIS I'd lose the GPS- yes, just receiving the frequency would interfere. All that diasappeared with the external antenna
and I have great satellite reception.
I recommend that external antenna to all GPS users.
That 196 does look like a nice unit !
Rudy
dkalwishky

Post by dkalwishky »

It was over on the Cessna Owners Org forums I beleive. I also looked at the 295 as well but realy wated the newer technology in the circutry rather than the color. I've really enjoyed mine in the tme I've had it and could imagine getting anything else.

Now, if they only had a color 196, hhhmmm......

Dave
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hey! I've got an open mind. It's changeable! :lol:
(I hadn't previously realized I'd not like the vertical screen of other models.)
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

So where are you guys putting your 196s?

I just ordered the bean bag and am going to try laying the 196 on my dash. I'm just not happy with the yoke mount.

Any other good mounting places or methods?
dkalwishky

Post by dkalwishky »

Mine is mounted on the yoke. I wasn't excited about that at first, but after using it that way for a couple of hours I wouldn't put it anywhere else..

Dave
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Kyle Wolfe wrote:So where are you guys putting your 196s?

I just ordered the bean bag and am going to try laying the 196 on my dash. I'm just not happy with the yoke mount.

Any other good mounting places or methods?
Kyle, ...Did your 196 not come with a dash mount? Mine did, a very sophisticated one with a release lever, ...and with adhesive to stick it to the dash, only I'm not going to use their adhesive,...I'm using industrial-strength Velcro. Works perfectly.
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Tisk, tisk, tisk, George. SHAME on you for cluttering up the nice cockpit of your 170 with that outboard mounted GPS with all the power and antenna cabling hanging over your legs and just waiting to get clamped in the door or tangled in a seat rail :o For a few dollars more than the price of those clunky 196s you could get a nice neat panel mounted KLN-89 or 90. Sitting these things on a bean bag on the top of the panel? What happens when the air gets a bit rough :roll: I guess you can always ask the rear seaters to pass up the 196 and bean bag from the baggage section :lol: Come on George....you converted me to a loyal KLN-88 follower. Don't run out on me now! Long live LORAN and the KLN-88 :D
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ha! Don't worry, My KLN-88 is in the panel where it belongs, and it'll stay there too! Unlike the 196, the KLN-88 is legal for navigation! :lol:
I have plans to install power leads thru the hand-hold well in the dash by drilling a small hole, inserting a grommet, and cutting the plug off the cigar lighter cable, and hooking the resulting leads to the nav C.B. circuit. Other than a 3/16" drain-hole in the bottom of the hand-hold, no modification to my panel will be necessary. The unit's basic antenna works fine, but if Rudy's advice is later followed, I'll simply add another drain-hole for an antenna lead.
But you're correct, the KLN-88 is still my primary navigator and Loran is still the most bang-for-the-buck.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Be careful George. In the minds of most around here the mod you just described would be a perminent installation requiring approval of some sort. This is why my stuff is neatly plugged into the cigar lighter.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I've already checked with the avionics inspector at my local FSDO (San Antonio) and he said it should merely be logged as a "minor" alteration, not requiring a 337. (All we're doing is providing an alternate type connector to a cigar lighter power source on an already protected circuit. The hole in the hand-hold is non structural.)
John, two additional reasons for the 196 is: It was a nice anniversary present (and I'll be damned if I'll discourage the lady from giving me airplane stuff!) and it'll be more useful in the woods after the forced landing if I can take it with me. :?
(Hey, any justification for a new toy, right?) :roll:
flyguy

INNA WOODS

Post by flyguy »

I BIN KNOWIN YOUS INNA WOODS AREADY. AN HIT SA GONNA TAKE MOREN SUM FANCEE GEE PEE ESS TU GIT CHEW OUTA THERE.
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

What woods George? Oh yea, I remember those days in Texas. Down there what you refer to as trees, we call bushes! I think if you stand up, you can see right over them 8O I still get upset at the GPS systems in the planes at work. There are certain geographical areas, especially between Syracuse NY and Portland ME where the "check position" flags come up regularly. Also just west of Dulles airport. Why, with multiple GPS sats in low earth orbit, would this be happening?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Have you ever read the FDC notams regarding GPS outage's? It's pretty surprising how much airspace navigation cannot be done on any given day via GPS. It's why my LORAN will remain in the airplane. :?
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Thats kind of spooky, George. Now seems everybody is hyping the WAAS thing now but nothing is being said about all of the outages. You really have to dig in the NOTAMS to find them. Wonder how many folks arrive in the terminal area ready to do a GPS approach and find that it does not work? And look at the prices these new WAAS capable boxes are going for? Ha, having only spend $280 on my KLN-88 LORAN, I can still afford to put dinner on the table tonight! Of course the good thing is if everyone thinks they have to have a CNX80 WAAS GPS, then the KLN-89s and 90s are likely to drop in price like the KLN-88 did when everybody jumped on the first GPS bandwagon...everybody that is except for you and me :wink: Long live LORAN 8)
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

I have a Garmin 150 Panel Mount GPS with a Mar 97 Jeppensen Data Card. I'm going to update the data and have to make a choice:
1. Buy a new data card and just plug it in $175.
2. Buy the download equip $130, plus the data $60, for a total $190.
With the download equip we can update in the future for $60.
How often does airport info need to be updated for the everyday VFR Joe?
Suggestions?
Thanks,