C170B Engine and Gear Rigging Experts in So. Calif?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jimnh20

C170B Engine and Gear Rigging Experts in So. Calif?

Post by jimnh20 »

I would appreciate recommendations for expert O-300 engine mechanics and also experienced 170 main gear/tail wheel riggers in southern California. My beautiful new (to me) 1952 170B is at KFUL, but I am willing to travel for good mechanics. I currently have 180 gear legs with Pponk attachments Cleveland wheels, double-puck brakes, and 8X6 tires and a Scott tail wheel. Although the tail wheel assembly has been rebuilt and the alignment of the main gear has been adjusted, landing and roll-out is a serious adventure - not at all as stable as a stock 170. This has been verified by a very experienced 170 owner who also flies a T-6, Wildcat, and a DC-3, so I feel like it isn't just me. The double puck brakes are VERY sensitive and the steering seems loose to the extent that I have to use the brakes to steer while taxiing (no steerage provided by full extension of rudder pedals). There is serious shimmy on the tail wheel upon landing. Landings are an adventure on wheel landings as well as 3-pt. landings. I need an expert to really go through the main gear and tail wheel systems, and also check out the engine, so hoping to get group recommendations for mechanics and also thoughts about potential issues that I may want to have them look at. Are there other 170 owners out there with 180 gear legs who can assure me that this setup works well?

Thanks for listening............

Jim
Jim Norman
1952 C170B
1982 TR182
KFUL
cessna170bdriver

Re: C170B Engine and Gear Rigging Experts in So. Calif?

Post by cessna170bdriver »

jimnh20 wrote:... and the steering seems loose to the extent that I have to use the brakes to steer while taxiing (no steerage provided by full extension of rudder pedals).
I've heard rumors of 170s that can be steered with the tailwheel, but in my 31 years and 1700 hours flying these airplanes I've never experienced one. Cleo Bickford, the Association member for whom I had the utmost respect and owned B-model for 40 plus years, said pretty much the same thing. If you have stock wheels and tires, the double puck brakes may be too sensitive.
jimnh20 wrote:...There is serious shimmy on the tail wheel upon landing.
Do a search on these forum for tail spring and shimmy then go out and look at your king pin angle. Also, I once had a shimmy due to a worn king pin (loose in a new bushing), and the solution ended up being a new tailwheel.

jimnh20 wrote:...Landings are an adventure on wheel landings as well as 3-pt. landings. I need an expert to really go through the main gear and tail wheel systems, and also check out the engine, so hoping to get group recommendations for mechanics and also thoughts about potential issues that I may want to have them look at. Are there other 170 owners out there with 180 gear legs who can assure me that this setup works well?

Thanks for listening............

Jim
I have no experience with 180 gear, as mine are stock late B-model ("lady legs", I think), but I don't recall hearing of any particular problems with the setup. Sounds like you still have an alignment problem. Once you get that sorted out and want to try wheel landngs, try rolling in about 1/3 to 1/2 turn of nose down trim on final. When the mains touch all you have to do is relax back pressure, and the airplane will "pin" itself on, and you don't have to conciously add forward pressure. Once you get used to the sight picture you'll be able to do it without the forward trim. The trick is to positively pin the mains on and not "chase" the attitude.

Are you having a specific problem with your engine? C-145/O-300's are fairly straightforward and most any A&P worth his rate should be able to work on it.

I'm not an instructor or licensed mechanic, but I'd be happy to ride with you some time and maybe help you get things sorted out.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
rsharp

Post by rsharp »

I fly a '52B with lady legs out of KHHR and can confirm that brakes are required to steer on the ground. The Scott 3200 tailwheel is quite sensitive to caster, becoming even more difficult to steer when the main tailwheel spring is worn causing a negative caster. A new main tailwheel spring may do wonders for your ground handling.

Send me a PM if you would like to get together and compare notes.
--
Rick Sharp, CFII
jimnh20

Post by jimnh20 »

Hi All - Looks like a second thread started on the same subject I posted on earlier (probably my inexperience in the forums)

Could you please post any further thoughts responses on the first thread - you can't miss it - it's three pages long now

Thanks

Jim
Jim Norman
1952 C170B
1982 TR182
KFUL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com