Cylinders

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

aldunn

Cylinders

Post by aldunn »

I am going to buy six new cylinders and would like some expert advise on which ones to buy and from whom. I fly a couple of times a week and am leaning towards new Steele
twlareau

Re: Cylinders

Post by twlareau »

I like the ECI Titan cylinders. (Steel) I put them on my airplane last October and they broke in beautifully. The compression check at annual on all cylinders were about perfect. I ended up using three compression gauges because I couldn't believe how good the compression was. I also like the exhaust rotators and the cylinder boss for a CHT gauge. I broke them In using the manufactures suggestion of Phillips 20/50XC. I bought them from Aircraft Specialty Services.
Good luck!
Last edited by twlareau on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

Here is where I buy cylinders for my customers

http://www.aircraft-specialties.com/o-2 ... =alphadesc

Phillips 20W50 from Day one to TBO. The bore is so smooth that the rings will be seated and oil consumption will be stabilized by the time you reach pattern altitude.

the last 4 sets I have installed have not used a qt in the first 25 hours.

ECI with exhaust valve rotators are the way to go.
KS170A

Post by KS170A »

No personal experience with the ECi cylinders yet, but am planning to use them on my engine when I overhaul. I like the CHT bosses and exhaust valve rotators and the good reports I've heard from numerous people already using them.
--Josh
1950 170A
Andy Metzka

Post by Andy Metzka »

3 years ago I installed ECI steel cylinders on my C120 with a C85- about 320 hours on them now- broke in well- good compressions and NO oil usage. Using Phillips XC20-50 per ECI recommendation. VERY pleased with them!
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

Another vote for ECI. Same results everyone else is reporting. I've had experience with all three; TCM, Superior and ECI. They have been by far the most trouble free.

Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I have had excellent results with Superior steel cylinders. I receive numerous complaints about ECI "cermichrome" process, and one report of ECI refusing to warrant a single cylinder in a new engine claiming that the owner improperly broke it in...(overlooking the fact that all 5 others were just fine in the same breakin period.)

While inconclusive, we (TIC170 Assoc'n Member) just lost an engine which threw a rod on a 200 hr engine using ECI cyls. Metal was found in the oil right after rebuild, the cyls returned to ECI (after reports of ECI cyl-wall disintegration) who claimed no-fault, cyls rereshed-installed and engine then failed. That engine is presently being torn-down for further investigation.

I personally am a strong supporter of plain steel cyls and of channel-chrome rebuilds, but do not favor "new" processes just yet.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

gahorn wrote:I have had excellent results with Superior steel cylinders.
The engine I call my engine from hell, is the only engine I have used Superior cylinders.

All of ECI 0-200/300 cylinders are not new process, they have been on the market since the early 90s

I use the ECI standard steel unless the customer wants a nickel finish because the don't fly that much and want the corrosion resistance.
KG

Post by KG »

I have ECI cylinders and ... it's a long story... but the short version is... based on my experience with a warranty claim, their warranty support is poor.

I had a problem with a cylinder, it was sent back to them for inspection, they said they sent it to an "independent engineering firm" for analysis.... and the "independent engineer" determined (wrongly) that the cylinder had been left sitting idle too long between flights, resulting in rust (which wasn't even the problem it was sent in for and wasn't present). Anyway, the "independent engineer's" declaration of rust voided their warranty.

Turns out the "independent" engineering firm was Sterling Machinery and Process, a division of Danbury Aerospace.

ECI is also a division of Danbury Aerospace.

ECI and Sterling Machinery and Process share a mailing address. They are in the same building. They are the same people as far as I can tell.

It was an outright lie to tell me that they had sent it to an "independent engineering firm" for analysis.... and the fact that he was one of them makes his opinion suspect..... especially since he was wrong.

It got resolved but that story is too long to tell here.

I'm not saying they don't make a good product but based on my experience with their warranty department, I can't recommend them.

Does anyone have any experience with a warranty claim with ECI that was satisfactorily resolved?
53 170B
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I use superior cylinders only and haven't had any problems ,we fit about 2or3cylinders weekly in the workshop . However I use only lycoming rings as have found superior rings sometimes a little soft. Using the mix and match system hasn't provided any problems but one thing I can say Superior pistons are the best around for weight and finish . I believe superior products have a very high QC .(quality control) For some reason we have superior cylinder head kits when on the run in have very high CHT,s , it's a good excuse to get the baffles in order . We use only a straight oil for the first 25hrs .
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Sorry I'm late to the party... been traveling.

I installed 6 new ECI cerminil cylinders at my overhaul 7 years (260 hours) ago, and have no complaints. I chose the nickel coating because my flying tends to be sporadic. The engine has gone as long as 13 months without running and all cylinders always leak check in the high 70's. Oil consumption is about 1 qt in 10 hours, including several leaks I have yet to chase down.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Ditto what Miles said, my ECI new nickel+carbide cylinders went on in 2006 with 280 hours so far, lowest cylinder is 75/80 at last annual, usually add one quart between oil changes. With the CHT port and valve rotators I wouldn't use anything else.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

T. C. Downey wrote:...The engine I call my engine from hell, is the only engine I have used Superior cylinders....
What went so wrong with that engine?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
aldunn

Post by aldunn »

Thank you gentlemen for all the help I ordered my cylinders from Aircraft specialties as you said they arrived in 3 to 4 days and hopefully I will start to install them the first of the week thanks again