Bendix Magneto Repair Shop

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Scott Barland

Bendix Magneto Repair Shop

Post by Scott Barland »

Does anyone out there have recent experience with a good repair shop that knows our Bendix magnetos? Any comments pro or con would be appreciated, as mine are nearing that 500 Hr IRAN.

Scott Barland
170C

Re: Bendix Magneto Repair Shop

Post by 170C »

Scott, although it has been a while since I had work done on my Bendix mags, I have used Select Aircraft Services in Lancaster, TX several times in the past and have been well satisfied each time. Aaron Williams is the owner and does all the work himself. He's professional and seems reasonable price wise. I am also approaching the 500 hour (probably already there) on my mags and when I do my annual in April or May I will no doubt have to face the music too. I will be taking my mags to Select at that time. There is another business on the field at Lancaster (KLNC) next to Select that carries numerous parts for starters, alternators, mags, etc. which I found fortunate the last time I had work done by Select as it was necessary to replace a mag case half due to some cracks in mine and the part was available next door.

Select Aircraft Services
Aaron Williams-owner
690 Ferris Rd
Lancaster, TX
972-227-9580 or 9581

Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I just had my Bendix mags overhauled by Quality Aircraft Accessories/. Good price and good service.
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

Based on input from Frank, I used Select Aircraft Services in Lancaster, TX (972-227-9580/9581) for servicing my Bendix magnetos. Aaron Williams (owner) is great. The cost to IRAN the two mags totaled $756.32 (including shipping). Total cycle time to send, inspect, clean, order parts, test, and return was 22 days. This time included waiting on parts he did not have in stock. I think the price is very fair and the service excellent.
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Unless they install a helluva bunch of extra fancy parts and do all the work on Sundays, $850 per Magneto is a damn high price. Thats $1.70/ hour for a running mag, or $3.40/ hr. just for ignition.
BL
MauleOne

Post by MauleOne »

Aircraft magneto services is just up the street from me and their price is good. They will get my business next month.
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Is there an acute shortage of magneto cores?

six or so years ago I elected to purchase a remanufactured mag by mail order. I paid the money and core charge and it seems they were reluctant to ship. I wanted to keep my core , it did not have many hours but had been installed for quite a few years.

The idea that I was not submitting a core seemed to stall the deal. Nearly two months and finally received the magneto.

Fresh mags on an old airplane is a good feeling.

Regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

MoonlightVFR wrote:Is there an acute shortage of magneto cores?

six or so years ago I elected to purchase a remanufactured mag by mail order. I paid the money and core charge and it seems they were reluctant to ship. I wanted to keep my core , it did not have many hours but had been installed for quite a few years.

The idea that I was not submitting a core seemed to stall the deal. Nearly two months and finally received the magneto.

Fresh mags on an old airplane is a good feeling.

Regards
About a year or so ago...I bought a pair of "core" magnetos from none-other-than-dear-old-bluElder, complete with harnesses. He sold them to me...and I bought them thinking they'd be good for "cores" should I need to submit a pair for exchange.

Alas..... they were condemned after they were found to have been run on MO-GAS!

:lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

gahorn wrote: Alas..... they were condemned after they were found to have been run on MO-GAS!

:lol:
Who condemn them ? that's one shop I'll never deal with.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Tom... you'll have to read between the lines... :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)