Warm(er?) spring 2013 flying destinations?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle Wolfe

Warm(er?) spring 2013 flying destinations?

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Ok, it's another cold day in the North country and it's got me thinking of nicer weather and the fun times we had going to Petit Jean in the spring. Anyone know of March-April fly-in gatherings that might attract some 170ers?

I know that the Super Cub gang is meeting at Gaston's in May (23-25) but anyone know of anything a bit earlier? Thoughts or ideas of possible planned stuff or maybe those flyin ideas yet to come?
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
buzzlatka

Re: Warm(er?) spring 2013 flying destinations?

Post by buzzlatka »

Fly out west and we can show you plenty of warm weather spots you can fly to now.
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

I bring it up to Traci, now and then, Kyle, but her priorities have changed. She's had a job for a couple of years where she works 12 hrs a day (I haven't seen her for yrs) and 1 grandbaby, with another on the way. We're (I am) in that transition mode, where we are downsizing and trying to get things simplified. Dakota graduates this May. I think about the Fly-ins a lot though, all my hunting is done with the mountain in my sight (some duck holes at the base). Buddy owns 1000 acres spread out across the bottoms. I have landing spots everywhere down there. Perhaps some day - I'm retiring in 5 yrs.
barry miller

Post by barry miller »

Hey Kyle! Haven't talked with you in a spell. There is a flyin @ 3KK Kankakee Il. the 1st week of June I believe. Karen and I are planning on going to in our recently acquired 11AC chief. Still have the 170 of which we will be taking to the Island July 20th. Give me a call sometime and of course my airstrip will always welcome you and Becky. Regards, Barry P.S. August 1st will be my 1st day of retirement!!!!!!!!
BARRY & KAREN MILLER
LINCOLN IL
N8303A 1952 C-170B
bmillercfi@gmail.com
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

Kyle Wolfe wrote:Ok, it's another cold day in the North country and it's got me thinking of nicer weather and the fun times we had going to Petit Jean in the spring. Anyone know of March-April fly-in gatherings that might attract some 170ers?

I know that the Super Cub gang is meeting at Gaston's in May (23-25) but anyone know of anything a bit earlier? Thoughts or ideas of possible planned stuff or maybe those flyin ideas yet to come?
Hey Kyle, there is always Sun N Fun, at Lakeland, FL in April. Usually pretty nice there....except for a tornado once in a while. :)
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Good to hear from friends!

Dave, wasn't trying to get you to host Petit Jean (though we'd all certainly enjoy) but thought I'd get some comments from folks who may have ideas on similar gatherings. Lee's Summit sounds great but the wrong time of year! And you're too young to be thinking retirement - WOW!

Barry - you go build a house and an airstrip and then you add another airplane and then you plan to retire! I need some advice buddy - you've got it figured! :wink: I'll give you a holler soon - we may try to find a weekend to come look at your place and schedules look good to get to Washington Island this year!

FL is a bit too far for my liking Ed though it's on my retirment bucket list.

Looking for a 3-4 day jaunt. Still open to ideas of possible spring 170 gatherings guys.......
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005