Fuel Selector Etched Plate

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

48RagwingPilot

Fuel Selector Etched Plate

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

All --

Does anyone: (a) have a photo of the fuel selector etched plate (i.e., left, right, both, off) for '48 C-170; and/or (b) where one can be found?

Mine appears to be rather poorly homemade and looks a bit too cheesy for my blood.

Thanks.

Dave
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Fuel Selector Etched Plate

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Yes Dave I do have a picture of the fuel selector which I can probably dig up for you later. That picture is in our members only area. If you were a member you'd be able to get to that picture right now.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

N2255D wrote:Try here for a new plate. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/categorie ... plate.html
I think the 48's fuel system is different so I am not sure that plate will work for the straight 170.
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

All--

Thanks for the replies.

As of earlier today, I am a paid member so will try and find something (a picture) in the "members only" section. The Aircraft Spruce plate won't work because the stock '48 C170 has one 12.5 gallon tank in the left wing and two 12.5 gallon tanks in the right wing, for a total of 37.5 gallons.

Dave
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

I guess the association hasn't processed my membership yet, so I'll try and find a picture in the members only area in the next few days. I'll let you all know what I find. Thx.
DWood

Post by DWood »

Dave:
There are 2 different fuel selector plates for the 48. The early ones are on the floor and later are under the panel. Which one do you have and what is your aircraft serial number?
Thx,
Dan
Bruce Fenstermacher

Dave, thanks for joining. The process of joining to getting member forum privileges is not an automatic one unfortunately. PM me with the method you used to join ie online with paypal or did you call HQ, and we will expedite your forum privileges.

In the mean time here is one photo I have of the fuel selector that is found under the flap handle. As Dan points out there are two different fuel valves and positions for the handle for the '48 depending on your serial number. This picture is from serial 18358 which should be the early selector. But looking at the IPC it looks more like the later version.

In either case the IPC says the etched plate is the same.
48originalGreen027.jpg
This version or anything like it is not available as far as I know from Spruce.

DWood

Post by DWood »

Dave:
Welcome aboard and I am sure you will find alot of great information on the forums. The decals for the 48 fuel selectors are not commercially available. I have made mine and am in slow process to have better ones made. If your's is a later 48, then I can send you a word document that you can modify to print one on decal or clear label material. It won't look original but certainly will be better. I have 4 tanks in mine so the fuel quantity isn't the same but can be changed in MS Word. There might be some other 48 owners that have other options for the decals.
Dan
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

All--

My S/N is 18403 and the fuel selector is on the floor. Sounds like whatever I do, it'll will be self-made. Nonetheless, seeing examples of what others have done will allow me to do the best job possible. Also, having access to the WORD doc would be great. Thx.

Dave
Bruce Fenstermacher

Interesting yours is also on the floor. The IPC says this didn't happen until serial 18573. I'll have to study this closer as I might not understand what changes took place. I thought the early versions had the selector on a slanted panel on the forward tunnel. The IPC doesn't show this. Hmmm. :?

sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

Bruce, I think you may have it backwards. I think the early ones (such as my 18073) have the handle on top of the tunnel, as in the picture. The fuel valve itself is very hard to access.
The IPC is not too clear on this.....
Ragwing S/N 18073
3958v

Post by 3958v »

While I actally saw that plane the day Bruce took that picture but I just noticed something that answers a question I have had since I owned my plane. The placard indicates 23 gallons of fuel in the right two tanks and 10.5 gallons of fuel in the single left tank. I guess that means that if you have a two tanks on the left you have 46 gallons of useable fuel. Its interesting that Cessna considered the left tank to have 2 gallons of unusable fuel and the right tanks to have 1.5 gallons apiece of unusable fuel. The reason I find that interesting is that the tanks are mirror images of each other and all three tanks are 12.5 gallon tanks. Dave you might want to check and see if that ragwing has had the extra tank added to the left wing as it would not be obvious just looking at it. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
Bruce Fenstermacher

sfarringer wrote:Bruce, I think you may have it backwards. I think the early ones (such as my 18073) have the handle on top of the tunnel, as in the picture. The fuel valve itself is very hard to access.
The IPC is not too clear on this.....
Well that would make perfect sense Bill but something is still not right with the IPC. In my picture you can see what looks like 4 tabs sticking out the 4 quaderants of the selector. In the IPC this part is clear and for 18574 and later. The IPC does not show this part before 18573.

3958v

Post by 3958v »

Bruce I belive that is the early selector which I have on 18277. The later ragwings had the selector move to the dash and then it was moved back to the floor on the A models. I will check next time I am at the airport and see if I have the 4 tabs. I do know for sure I have 4 positions. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug