S16 Copalis State Airport

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mekstrand

Re: S16 Copalis State Airport

Post by mekstrand »

We fly our 170 out to Copalis quite often.  My kids love going to "Airplane Beach".  You will be fine with the 6.00 x 6's as long as you stay on the dark sand.  Plan to arrive at low tide.  The "Runway" area will be under water at high tide.  Dont taxi on the light colored sand unless you want to get stuck. The weather is typically not great during the winter, and will usually be cool and breezy in the summer.  The nearest airport with weather reporting will be Hoquium (HQM).

The flight up from the bay area is one of my favorites.  I'd recommend a stop in Mc Minnville, OR to check out the Evergreen Museum (home of the Hughes H-4).  From there, I'd fly up to Seaside, OR (56S) for the night.  The airport is a short walk from town and Seaside has plenty of hotels and resturants in addition to being a great Oregon beach town.  From Seaside it's a short flight to Copalis.  When your at Copalis it's only about an hour to Seattle, so you may as well keep heading north.  I'd recommend a stop at Boeing field (BFI) to visit the Museum of Flight.  After that a 10 minute flight up to Paine Field (PAE) for a tour of the Boeing factory (777, 787, & 747-8 assembly facility).  Then it's just a few minutes up to the San Juan's.  You may as well visit Friday Harbor (FHR) and Orcas Island (ORS) while your up here.  If you time it right you could also attend the fly inn at Arlington (AWO)....

Let me know when you plan on making the trip up.  I'd be happy to show you around.

Marshall

blueldr

Post by blueldr »

And don't forget to rinse off the salt and salty sand afterwards.
BL
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

And don't skip Tillamook Airport on the OR coast also there's an interesting Air museum there in the worlds largest blimp hangar.

Call me when you are in the area, I'm only 40 minutes from Copalis, based at Kelso Airport (KLS).

Joe
360-430-0634
mekstrand

Post by mekstrand »

Aryana,

Sounds great! Joe's right about Tillamook. It's worth the stop just to tour the Tillamook cheese and ice cream factory! The blimp hangar and museum are great and my wife loves the outlet mall they have in town. The airport is a few miles from town so you will need to rent a car or arrange ground transportation in advance.

Marshall
spduffee

Post by spduffee »

Joe Moilanen wrote:Call me when you are in the area, I'm only 40 minutes from Copalis, based at Kelso Airport (KLS).
Hey Joe, I'm up in Auburn. I'd like to make my way down to meet you. Until the 170 is up and running I'll have to rent a 150 from the club.
I never did land in Copalis - flew over it, but never trusted myself...
I've got your number from your posting, and I'll give you a call some day soon.
N5448C -1950 170-A
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

360-430-0634

Call anytime!

Joe
N3092A

Post by N3092A »

We should have a little NW fly-in meet and greet. I think there are more of us up in this corner than we think. I'm just outside Enumclaw. If any of you guys are in the area shoot me a message.

Ritejs@msn..com
spduffee

Post by spduffee »

Sounds good! I'll have to drive in, but what the hey. I just met another 170 owner in Auburn via the TIC170A. I'm so glad I joined....
N5448C -1950 170-A
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

N3092A wrote:We should have a little NW fly-in meet and greet. I think there are more of us up in this corner than we think. I'm just outside Enumclaw. If any of you guys are in the area shoot me a message.

Ritejs@msn..com
Sounds like a plan!

Joe