Landing Problems

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

thammer

Post by thammer »

Sorry George, I didn't mean to confuse things talking about my 140 here at the 170 site. :) Even though it's up instead of down with a 170, I'd still have to wonder how you could ever get toe-in if you can not put the thick end at the back. To move the front edge of the wheel inwards you have to move the back edge out which means thick edge in the back. Unless the gear legs have quite an amount of toe-in without shims then you could put the thick edge forward and still end up with toe-in. Are the gear legs twisted if you can't get them in spec with shim thick edges forward?

tye
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Tye, all the best wisdom I've been able to consult says this is a starting point, and that other positions are to be adjusted from that starting point. If no abnormalities exist, then that one shim should be all that is necessary (albeit may need repositioning.) My own airplane has two on one side and one on the other, and I've seen that sort of thing on lots of 170's.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dacker

Post by dacker »

When the mechanic was working on my alignment he got the wheels where they were supposed to be as far as toe in or out, but I had negative camber. I had to buy four of the medium shims (the cheapest) and put them together so as to cancel out the toe in or out but add positive camber. I am not sure if I wound up with three on each gear leg or if he used some other combination, all I know is that it works. I am not sure what the max thickness or number of shims allowed and I am not asking either! :roll:
David
thammer

Post by thammer »

Thanks George, that makes good sense to me. I'm pretty sure I ended up with one on one side and two on the other.

tye