Centennial of Flight Parade

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Larry Holtz

Centennial of Flight Parade

Post by Larry Holtz »

I just got home from participating in a great event to celebrate the centennial. 100 aircraft left BFI in Seattle, flying over the ciity and north to Everett, turning inland and south to Mchord Air Force Base, back north over the Narrows Bridge, Tacoma and then everybody dispused. We flew in parade style 300 to 600 feet apart. I was the only 170 there. Had a great time.

Larry
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Larry, I unexpectedly got the day off work today,and thought (briefly) about going down to Boeing,as I'd heard about the event. I decided that it sounded like a cluster-you-know-what waiting to happen,so I flew to Concrete for lunch instead. I don't know if I'd want to be in that close a proximity with pilots whose abilities I didn't have any experience with.
Glad you enjoyed it,it must not have been as bad as I expected.

Eric
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

Caught the Wright Flyer reproduction having trouble getting airborne today on CNN. What a shame. I hope they try again. From what I saw it just was too slow.

Hey George and/or Joe, was that version of the Wright Flyer the "A" model or "B" model?? Wait... no diehedral...must have been an "A"... after 100 years, I guess some things never change!
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Bruce,
Where both and George and Joe at Kitty Hawk in 1903 :?: :D
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

OUCH!

But, on the news, that thing looked more like a rag wing! It didn't look like an A at all, but it seemed to approach George's speed inbetween the end of the ramp and mud puddle! :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'm content to let the facts speak for themselves. Mine made it to Kitty Hawk in 2003. Joe's ,... didn't. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Harold Holiman

George led us to Kitty Hawk

Post by Harold Holiman »

George was an excellent group leader to Kitty Hawk. The trip along the Outter Banks was beautiful. One advantage of flying in a group led by George is that you can throttle way back and save a lot of fuel. :D Merry Christmas to all.

Harold
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ok, Harold! That just about rips it! Why don't you tell 'em what you asked me in front of witnesses about what prop/pwr setting I had and what airspeed I was indicating on that flight! Ol GAR, (you better not try to gang up on me here!) was in there with me, we had full fuel, two healthy :roll: wimmen in the back along with about 70# of extra gear and life preservers (has the statute of limitations run out on this yet?) and YOU broadcast it in the open about how my 170 was the fastest you'd ever tried to keep position with! GEEZ! I feel like Rodney Daingerfield! :lol: :lol: :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

OH BOY! Healthy women AND life preservers! That speaks enough of you trying to brag that your airplane was able to keep up with the others George. :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I wasn't "trying to keep up". I was leading the pack!
The life preservers were just in case ....and the women Ol Gar and I brought along to keep the sharks we saw occupied so we could get away! :lol:

Of course, the real question is, ...where were you! 8)
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

gahorn wrote:I wasn't "trying to keep up". I was leading the pack!
The life preservers were just in case ....and the women Ol Gar and I brought along to keep the sharks we saw occupied so we could get away! :lol:

Of course, the real question is, ...where were you! 8)
The real question is, how long ago did you forget what healthy women are for? :lol: I was back in Texas with a healthy woman. 8) Was hopeful that once you had two healthy women in a slow airplane like that old B of yours, you would finally find a way to make good use of the slowness. :lol: Harold and the others were saving fuel costs so you could keep up, and you were thinking about feeding the sharks. No wonder you don't feel like you are getting any respect! :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Give it up, Joe! Ol Gar and I only keep women who want to go where we go, and do what we want to do. We'd never keep women around that made us stay home! :oops: (We were at Kitty Hawk because we're married and had permission. You ain't married. What's your excuse!) :lol:

Seriously, ALL YOU GUYS/GALS WHO HAVEN'T BEEN COMING TO THE CONVENTIONS.......
You guys just gotta set aside the date for next year's convention at Tehachapi, CA (the week of July 4th) and MAKE THE CONVENTION! It's more fun than you can realize and you'll be absolutely glad you did when you meet the really nice folks in our association! This group is different than most of you might realize in that, yes there's a common interest in that we all love 170's,...but some don't have a 170, they have something else, ...or nothing at all! They just found really fun friendships and an extended family relationship exists among us. (Many convention regulars have been attending for decades without missing a single convention. At my first convention, I would not have been surprised to find them in a self-centered group or "clique"...but that aint' the way it was. Jamie and I found ourselves welcomed into the group and embraced just the same as if we'd been in the group all along! It's a shame we can't see them all more often and have to wait until the next convention! What a group!
Make your plans NOW, and make your reservations NOW so you'll get serious about it and join the fun. Miles Bowen, our past president, is the host this year and it promises to be a Great Convention and another fun time!
Harold Holiman

Convention

Post by Harold Holiman »

I agree completely with George on his Convention comments. I have only attendended four 170 Conventions but they were all great. You meet lots of people with simular interests and you get to do and see things you couldn't or wouldn't do on your own. We plan on making the 04 convention, we just havn't decided it we are going to fly ourselves or if we are coming on the big bird. It's a long way from Georgia to California. Either way it will be a great convention. Make it and you will never regrete it.

Harold
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

gahorn wrote:I wasn't "trying to keep up". I was leading the pack!
Around here,when we fly in a "flight",we always have the slowest airplane take the lead too..........

:lol: Eric
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I agree that if anyone that doesn't go to the conventions are missing a great opportunity to meet other great people. I'm new and planning to fly my plane to CA. I'm hoping that others from the east will also be going. It was a great trip to Kitty Hawk.
Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR.
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT