Blind Aviation Enthusiast

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n9gmr

Blind Aviation Enthusiast

Post by n9gmr »

I realize introductions are not the norm around here, and I'm not even sure if there's a place for this one either. I'll take the risk, because you'll know the perspective from which I'm posting, especially when I ask a lot of questions.
My name is Matt Roberts, and have been blind since birth. Being disabled hasn't stopped me from doing things that interest me, and aviation is one of them. A member of the 170 association is a friend of mine, and he's taken me up in his plane, a Cessna 170B. There's nothing like the feeling you get when flying. In fact, I hate flying commercial, because you mis out on a lot of things. I especially like listening to ATC, and knowing what we're flying over an other details of the flight.
Since my friend lives in Alaska, I don't get to fly very often. I've tried for years to network with pilots in my home area, Daytona Beach Florida, but haven't found a way to do so. People have suggested I just hang out at a local airport, but we have three of them around here. Which one do I go to? IF I listen to local aircraft traffic, most of it is Embory Ridle, or other flight schools. Since I'm not able to learn to fly, I doubt these folks would even deal with me. If anyone has any sugestions on how I can network with pilots who would take me flying, let me know. I've considered joining the association, if I'm allowed to do so.

Matt Roberts Port Orange Florida
Matt Roberts
GAHorn

Re: Blind Aviation Enthusiast

Post by GAHorn »

Matt, OF COURSE you are "allowed" to join...in fact, we ENCOURAGE new Memberships. This happens to be one of the most friendly, welcoming, and family-oriented "type clubs" in aviation, bar none! We have Members who do not own Cessna 170's, Members who don't own ANY airplane, and Members who are not pilots, but are aviation aficionados. (We even have a couple of Members who simply LIKE one or two of our pilot-certificated Members.) 8O < goofy shocked-emoticon>

I have a question...HOW do you communicate on-line? Do you have a reader?...or do you have a device that does that for you?
How old are you? Have you participated in other aviation clubs? What types of aviation activities do you enjoy most?
If possible, can you contact me using the Private Messaging feature with your contact information?
Thanks, and WELCOME!

George Horn (moderator)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spduffee

Post by spduffee »

I imagine every member would respond in kind, so that you'll just about have the entire United States covered. Seattle is another place you can count on for some fun flying, anytime.

Shawn
N5448C -1950 170-A
canav8

Post by canav8 »

I welcome him as well. I wish I could take him flying. I have a question though. He is blind, how does re respond to our replys?
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
n9gmr

Post by n9gmr »

I haven't participated in any fly-ins at all. I'm interested in anything related to flying.
Most of my flying experience has been going up in a plane, flying around for a bit, and returning to the originating airport. A few times I flew somewhere for teh weekend, or for a few hours.
My knowledge of aviation events is limited, but I'd like to expand that.
I've never participated in aviation clubs because I figured my inability to fly would exclude me from membership. This is the first time I've ever reached out to a club, adn it was only after my friend in Alaska told me about it.
I don't mind answering how I communicate on-line. I use a program calld a screen reader, which takes text and translates it to speech. The speech is then spoken through my sound card. On the Mac, VoiceOver is built-in, and it only takes a keystroke to turn it on. On my PC, I use a programs called System Access and Window-Eyes. I was able to get around the capchia when signing up on this forum by using Firefox with an ad-on called WebVisum, which decoded teh text for me.

The folks who have offered to take me flying, I'll contat you privately.
Matt Roberts
spduffee

Post by spduffee »

Interesting technology. A fellow who rides the same commuter shuttle works next to me at the Social Security Administration. He was blinded by a disease and is more or less completely blind. He uses the same technology to communicate to his customers all day long. I wish the technology existed to enable you to fly on your own. Perhaps someday....?
N5448C -1950 170-A
n9gmr

Post by n9gmr »

I'd love that, to be able to fly a plane on my own.
Until that happens I'll continue to learn all I can about aviation, and go up with someone whenever I can.

Matt Roberts
Matt Roberts
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Matt,

If you are able to show up at our Convention in Bardstown, Kentucky between July 19 and 24, I'm quite sure you'd have more offers to go flying than you could accept. :D

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bramlett

Post by Bramlett »

Matt

Welcome aboard!

I see you are an amateur radio operator too!

My call is W4GPS

Regards,

Patrick

Stable fall, face down, frog modified
n9gmr

Post by n9gmr »

I have that time free. It takes a lot for me to attend any kind of convention, and I've never attended an aviation one.
Can I post here what I'd ned to make this happen?

Matt Roberts
Matt Roberts
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Post away, Matt!

170 Conventions tend to be more like family reunions than aviation conventions. We don't spend as much time at the airport during our conventions as some other type clubs, but this year I see that there are flyouts planned for two days, in addition to Airport Day, which includes a poker run and spot landing. The schedule and registration info is posted at http://cessna170.org/Documents/2013Convention.pdf
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

Welcome to the 170 Forum.
I am another "HAM". KB3UJO

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
n9gmr

Post by n9gmr »

I took the plunge and joined the association tonight. I can see the folks are friendly around here, adn I'll spend many hours getting to know everyone.
After reading Miles's posts, I read the information about the event in Kentucky. If the details can be worked out, I'l be there. Check the event thread, and there is a message that details what help I'd need to attend. I'd be coming alone, which I hope doesn't scare anyone.
I'm looking forward to meting members of this rout, and spending many hours in teh air.

Matt Roberts
Matt Roberts
Larry Holtz

Post by Larry Holtz »

Hi Matt,

You might check out a site called http://www.pilotsharetheride.com. I came across it a few years ago while looking for a flight assistant when tranporting children for Angel Flight West. It is a free site managed by a rancher named Baldy in Arizona or New Mexico. He came up here to the Northwest to our aviation conference to visit folks about the site. He reminded me of Sam Eliott. I have used it several times. I just checked and found several pilots in Florida looking for someone fly with and share expenses.

Larry