Fuel strainer (fuel drain) replacements

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

trm@59

Re: Fuel strainer (fuel drain) replacements

Post by trm@59 »

the rooster is a crowin, the grass is a growin;my airplane cranked and ran; i am a happy man
one curtiss 1/8 npt relaced in left wing;no more leek
put back what you take out
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I read all the posts and it was becoming a STRAIN.

Now I will have to measure door clearance to wing tank Drain.

Regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

MoonlightVFR wrote:I read all the posts and it was becoming a STRAIN.

Now I will have to measure door clearance to wing tank Drain.

Regards
There is more than one 170 with relief slots in the top of the door to clear the fuel drain. :roll:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote: There is BTW an STC to install a quick drain in the fuel selectors of B models but no other models. A problem with this STC if you have one of the first 18 B models you have the A model fuel valve. A quick drain can still be added but it won't line up with the hole as provided in later B models. When I queried the owner of the STC wondering why he limited the STC to B models he said because they had different fuel selectors. When I pointed out 18 B models had the early valve and would be covered by his STC and therefor all the A models should or could also be included, he didn't care. :roll:

That explains it!! All this time, I thought my plane was bent or something 'cuz the drain dosent line up with the hole :roll:
BlakeinAlabama

Post by BlakeinAlabama »

According to what I see, the different part number is really the difference in the diameter of the threads that go up in the. As mentioned, I read posts that says CAV170, but mine have CAV160 in them. I had ordered the 170, but it was way too small for the hole in the tank. I guess I am wondering why there would be different sizes?
Blake Mathis
Huntsville, AL
BlakeMathis@yahoo.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

bagarre wrote:
Bruce Fenstermacher wrote: There is BTW an STC to install a quick drain in the fuel selectors of B models but no other models. A problem with this STC if you have one of the first 18 B models you have the A model fuel valve. A quick drain can still be added but it won't line up with the hole as provided in later B models. When I queried the owner of the STC wondering why he limited the STC to B models he said because they had different fuel selectors. When I pointed out 18 B models had the early valve and would be covered by his STC and therefor all the A models should or could also be included, he didn't care. :roll:

That explains it!! All this time, I thought my plane was bent or something 'cuz the drain dosent line up with the hole :roll:
No, only the first 18 B models have the A model early fuel selector. David yours should have the later model fuel selector. Still doesn't mean the holes will line up.

Bruce Fenstermacher

BlakeinAlabama wrote: I guess I am wondering why there would be different sizes?
Because people had to go oversize when they messed up the original threads I'm thinking. :?

blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I have found that most of the stripped wing tank fuel drain bosses have been repaired by tapping the boss out to a
1/4" NPT thread. One must then use extreme caution when installing a tapered thread, steel bodied, drain valve in the aluminum boss lest he really ruins it. It is best to use a petroleum compatible sealant on the threads and not over tighten the valve to stop leakage.
BL