door catch

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

femoskol

door catch

Post by femoskol »

The spring that holds the door catch out went messing, preventing the door from staying closed. The schematic available from the Association shows the spring part number as 0511247-1. This part has been superceded by Cessna Service Kit SK172-16C, which appears to be the entire latching mechanism @ $98.10 from Univair or $113.20 from Cessna. Seems like one could just buy the spring, but where?
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: door catch

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The spring you are referring to is commonly called the mouse trap spring. It is a special made for Cessna spring and your not likely to find it.

I doubt very much you could by an entire latching mechanism from Univair or Cessna for the prices you quoted but miracles do happen occasionally. I think Cessna might actually be offering a different spring set up for their price which then would make the price astronomical for what you get and unfortunately more characteristic for Cessna pricing.

The spring can be made from music wire if your crafty and instructions to do so use to float around the web, created by a Cessna 140 member. 140s use the same spring.

What more of use have found is that simple hardware store springs can be added to your assembly to accomplish what the mouse trap spring did. Look below for the link to the other topic about these springs and replacing them.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
femoskol

Post by femoskol »

Thanks for all the information. My mechanic will be delighted to work on this using your suggestions
Bruce Fenstermacher

Here is the topic that shows hardware springs being used as well as a email to a gentleman that will make you some mouse trap style springs.

http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... ing#p93264

femoskol

Post by femoskol »

These emails are extremely helpful. Now all I need is a way to forward them to my mechanic without copying and pasting. Is there a function I'm missing?
Bruce Fenstermacher

No there is no feature to email forum information to anyone. BUT there is no reason anyone couldn't just view and read the forum itself.

Simply view the first page of the thread, then copy and paste the URL in your browser to your email. They can then click on the link and it will go right to the thread.

Here is the URL for this thread: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... 509#p95509

N2255D

Post by N2255D »

There is someone on the 120/140 Association site that sells the mouse trap springs. I don't know how much as the price is not listed but you can find the contact info here http://www.cessna120-140.org/Classified/springs.htm
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
femoskol

Post by femoskol »

Great and thanks for all the help!
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

Just did a 337 for the later style like on 150's and they are readily available in aircraft recycling centers. Always did hate those spring style.
It's not done till it's overdone
spduffee

Post by spduffee »

Marathonrunner, could you please elaborate on the 150-solution? My door latch worries me...
Thanks.
N5448C -1950 170-A