Dreaming of an Airpark Home

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

marathonrunner

Re: Dreaming of an Airpark Home

Post by marathonrunner »

I will also send pictures of our home. From the outside it looks like a steel building. Once inside you cannot imagine you are in a steel building. People comment all the time that they cannot believe how it looks from just driving up and seeing the outside which looks like a steel hangar then coming inside and you think you are inside a very nice house. Of course in Alaska we have in floor heat and I tiled over the entire floor. We have cement counter tops for the kitchen and in the bathroom I made a walk in shower with glass block and the toilet is a genuine Thomas Crapper. The upstairs is also nicely done with vaulted ceiling. Nothing wrong with living in a steel box if you use some imagination.
It's not done till it's overdone
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Claude,....tell momma that you didn't realize how much she savored the idea of climbing ladders,
scaffolds, etc., and scraping, painting, patching, etc., traditional exteriors in her later years as she
apparently does. Explain that you will help her find restoration projects of others that wil provide
plenty of opportunities to fall, break old bones, crack ribs, and puncture lungs when that time
arises.

Ask her to look at these and decide if steel buildings can resemble homes:
http://arch-steel-building.containerhom ... gs-houses/
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Sixracer

Post by Sixracer »

You need to fly Mama up to Holley Mt. and show her what the "Tin Boxes" look like. When I told my wife that I might build a new "live in shop" at the airport she turned up her nose. Her tune changed after visiting my buddy at Holley Mt. and going indide some of the homes and talking to the owners. She now understands some of the benefits over a traditional home. Up keep being the big one. She knows how many weekends a year we are taking care of our "Traditional home" that was built in 1985..... That is time that could be spent flying or visiting the Grand daughters.
Claude172TD

Post by Claude172TD »

Marathonrunner. I understand, I really do. Thanks. I agree that the steel shell can be built into an impressive home. I have seen some pretty cool ones. Don't forget a picture of the genuine Thomas Crapper!

Sixracer. I sent her a youtube link to one of the houses on market up there. It was pretty awesome. We will run up there and check it out in person after I get them out here.

George, I will take a look at your link tomorrow. I'm beat. I don't know if you have noticed the time stamps on my post's but I have been on nights this week, teaching LT's what low level NVG combat airlift is all about. I'm rolling to days tomorrow and hitting the sack.
6927A 1956 "C-170C"
Cessna builds airplanes, Lockheed builds character!
Claude172TD

Post by Claude172TD »

George, I couldn't wait. Nice pictures, but what does this mean:

"Steel Buildings Barns Houses Garages and Outback Steel Building Kits steel metal buildings for sale in kit form, house cabin garage buildings for sale. all steel construction. Houses made of Mrs. Henry Wood have incessantly been atomic number 49 fashion. People birth been exploiting trees to pay back Sir Henry Wood for constructing residential and commercial places."

Now I was born in South Georgia and raised in LA (Lower Alabama). I have worked on every continent except Australia and Antarctica. I am fluent in several different dialects of redneck, coonass, creole and a little bit of espanol, but what does that mean? Atomic number 49 is Indium (in between Cadmium and Tin, I had to cheat and look that one up, but I still don't know what it means). I don't think these folks are from around here. Maybe it's late. Maybe I'm slow. I just don't know.

Cool pictures though ( and that rhymed... a little bit).
6927A 1956 "C-170C"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I think perhaps that "link" has been corrupted... I only meant to offer different views of some beautiful metal homes. :D
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Claude172TD

Post by Claude172TD »

You did George and I appreciate it! Thank you and everyone else that has offered their two cents.

I am still interested in hearing anyone else's experiences with building on an airpark, the pitfalls particularly. This is our first attempt at new construction and I am desperately trying to not mess it up! I am currently scaling down my floor plan, it was a little too "Atomic Number 49"! :D

I am still planning for an attached 60x60 hangar. Does anyone have experience with the 60 ft span vs 50 ft. I am concerned the extra 10 ft may increase the cost exponentially. Any words?

Claude
6927A 1956 "C-170C"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Think about resale....a Cessna 414 or 421 needs a door at least 48 feet wide to accommodate well.
What is the likely buyer going to need...and what willd you your boat and travel vehicle need so you don't have to move the plane ask the time?
Hint.....(RVs need 14' of height.)
Claude172TD

Post by Claude172TD »

My sentiments exactly George! The 60x60 hangar looks "right sized" but it looks like I "need" a 50x14 foot door to accommodate most GA aircraft that could operate from a 2500 turf strip. A 16 ft tall door would open it up to a few of the larger nose draggers ( but that's their problem, "If you ain't a taildragger, you ain't $#!^!!!). :lol:

All kidding aside, I do not want to exclude anyone unnecessarily, especially a high performance or turbine STOL aircraft owner that wants my house! I am planning on all the living area being on the main floor as well, the multi-level floor plan automatically excludes a segment of the buyers ( see, I am paying attention). :idea:

Thanks for the input.

Claude
6927A 1956 "C-170C"
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Claude
I do some construction, but far from being and expert, in regard to cost on a Red Iron or post frame the cost does not increase exponentially until you span over 100'. The side wall At 20' after that heavier beams or post. So if you stay under those it will be cost of material. I built a 60x64 post frame at home this spring, 16' side wall with a 50' door and I'm glad I didn't go any smaller. If you are planning on and apartment on 1 end 16' will do but will limit the second story space,(even with a 4/12 pitch, 18' sidewall would give you a complete 2nd floor usage.
I watch banrstormers "airport property" and look at all the aprtment/hanger/homes to get ideas too. Google "Barnominiums" too

good luck

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
KG

Post by KG »

This may not apply to your situation but it is an interesting story.

I have a friend who built a hangar home about eight years ago. He obtained a construction loan from Big Bank. The loan was issued in installments as the work progressed. When the work was finished he was to convert the construction loan to a conventional mortgage. Big Bank sent their appraiser to appraise the property. Mr. Appraiser deducted from the value of the home because it was near an airport!! Big Bank would not listen to my friend's appeal and rejected his mortgage loan application! He scrambled at the last minute to find another lender and obtained his mortgage so it all worked out.
Last edited by KG on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
53 170B
Claude172TD

Post by Claude172TD »

Wow! That would stink KG. The builder I have selected has built a number of airpark homes in the area and has a long relationship with a local banker. I have met with them and been pre-approved for the mortgage. I have not met with the appraiser yet but I think a pre-build lunch would pay dividends.

"W", thanks for the span info. That is great to know! I can always lay a new countertop or install some new fixtures but hangar stretchers are hard to find! I want the foundation and superstructure to be as ideal as my foresight will allow. Thanks.

Claude
6927A 1956 "C-170C"