IA in Anchorage

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

AlaskaZag

IA in Anchorage

Post by AlaskaZag »

Hey there,

I bought a 1953 170B last fall and have been having a ton of fun flying it. I just got my pilots license last spring so obviously this is my first plane. I have been reading as much as i can on here to get myself familiar with the airplane, what quirks to look for and what mods to put on my wish list :) There truly is a wealth of knowledge on this forum!

The plane is due for an annual soon and I am looking for some help from an IA. I have a buddy who is an A&P and he said he would help me do all the work, so basically I need an IA who is willing to sign off on the annual (or do as much or as little work as they comfortable with). I have never been through the annual process before so i'm not exactly sure how it works so I would really appreciate any help i can get. My buddy is planning on getting his AI license this summer so hopefully next year i won't have this issue.

Is there anybody in the Anchorage area who would be willing to help me out?

Thanks a bunch for your time,

-Dustin
N3072A
Last edited by AlaskaZag on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue4

Re: AI in Anchorage

Post by Blue4 »

To coin an aphorism: The only thing more expensive than good maintenance ... is bad maintenance.

I have enjoyed working on and with my airplane; I'm currently in the middle of an owner-assisted annual. However, I'm really not saving any money. I certainly am not saving any time. I AM learning a LOT. All I'm saying is that be careful what you ask for. I highly recommend finding the best Cessna 170 IA you can. I'm opinionated, but I think I have "that guy" here in Fairbanks.

There are many drive-by IAs who will sign your annual. Refer to my first statement above. :D Good luck to you, and to your A&P friend in his quest to become an IA. The good people on this board are worth their weight in aluminum 100 times over, and they'll steer both of you the right way.

-Scott
minton

Re: IA in Anchorage

Post by minton »

I can throw my hat in the ring.
AlaskaZag

Post by AlaskaZag »

Experience is exactly what I'm trying to get. I'm not much of a mechanical guy but would love you learn all that I can about both the engine and airframe. I want to be able to troubleshoot problems when they arise (and i'm sure they will). Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated!

I took Minton up on his offer. Seems like a great guy with extensive knowledge of the 170!
akav8or

Post by akav8or »

Mario Maccarone of marios aircraft service @ Wolf Lake up in Wasilla does owner assisted annuals. www.marioshangar.com
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Doesn't your friend, the A&P that's going to help you, have an IA that he normally works with?
BL