Javelin Aux tank

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jatkins

Javelin Aux tank

Post by jatkins »

I just purchased , a javelin aux tank , all it has is a tag, I an looking for installation instruction, and a contact to get the bits like the filler Cap assembly. :?:
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

Dave Blanton, Jr at the Augusta, KS airport still has a few parts for Javelin tanks. His Dad is the one that originally made them.

Kelly
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Try O&N Aircraft Modifications. They make a very similar system for Cessnas (not certificated for the 170 however). I bought a fuel float, transmitter and gage from them for my Javelin and they fit right in. Mr. Olson was very helpful. Possibly their installation instructions would work for the Javelin. Good luck-
http://www.onaircraft.com/Products.htm
Rudy
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dave Clark submitted his installation pkg for the Javelin tank to me. I've got it off at the printer's getting a copy made for headquarters. Any member of TIC170A can contact Velvet for a copy, for minimal costs.
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

I just wanted to comment that I think you will like the Javlin tank system. My plane has it and it works very well. The only problem I have, and I have heard of others that have the same problem, is it is very slow to fill.

Harold H
Mbr #893
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Right Harold it is slow to fill.

Be sure you have the vent that goes on the forward inspection port on the belly just aft of the firewall. Its purpose is to suck out any fumes that might be there from leaks or whatever. It has a flap that keeps it closed on the ground to keep exhaust from coming in.

I love mine.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

This isn't the right thread,but I seem to recall that someone recently was looking for a Javelin aux tank. FYI,the latest Flypaper (2/04) that came in the mail yesterday has one listed for sale for $650.

Eric
MGMcAnick

Dave Blanton

Post by MGMcAnick »

Dave Blanton Jr was mentioned above. Dave Blanton Jr's dad did indeed make the STC'd Javelin tank. Dave Sr passed away a few years ago. I NEVER saw him without a neck tie, even at EAA functions or his funeral. Last time I spoke to Jr, who has NEVER run a business out of the Augusta KS airport, he didn't have anything for the Javelin tank. THAT business has been gone for years and years. Jr has a business in Wichita called Hangar Hobbies. They sell radio controlled planes and cars at their two stores.

There is a supposedly complete Javelin tank listed in the new flypaper.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I have what I believe is the full installation dwgs and instructions for the Javelin kit available to TIC170A members. Contact me directly.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

I called on the Javelin tank in the flypaper this morning (Sunday)...that puppy sold Thursday, I never had a chance as I came in from my trip Thursday night, oh well! Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

I'm sorry I didn't mean he had a business at Augusta. he has a hangar there at that was where he had his Ford Racer and Javelin Converted Pacers.

Kelly
MGMcAnick

Blantons, young, older , and deceased.

Post by MGMcAnick »

Dave Jr (AKA Davy, although I have a hard time calling a 6'3" 250 lb guy anything ending in a diminutive Y) doesn't have a hangar at Augusta. His father had one for a few years after his original field was replaced by a residential golf course. Davy instructed my wife at that field. That was about 20 years ago. Dave Jr has a hangar at Valley Center KS where the Ford powered belt driven Sport Racer (See http://www.pilotfriend.com/experimental ... lanton.htm ) shares space with an IO-520 powered Sport Racer (both of Jr's own design) as well as his dad's 1929 Curtiss Robin, a Whichawk (Dave Sr's design) and a C-182 which is regularly flown by Davy's wife and son. The hangar is behind Davy's house and shares a runway with about 20 other hangars & houses.
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

I just read Dave Clark's September posting about a spring-loaded vent on the forward belly inspection panel behind the firewall. I have a Javelin tank and have no such vent. Is this a part of the Javelin installation ? Does the vent go to the tank or is it just to vent the fuselage ?
Rudy
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

Rudy,

Mine does not have that vent either and it is not shown on any papers I have.

Harold
N92CP
Mbr# 893
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The vent was an option....not a requirement. gh
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)