Mystery engine component

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rydfly

Re: Mystery engine component

Post by rydfly »

Obviously whatever I have going on isn't affecting the function of my engine. My concern is that it's so visible, it may be a concern when/if I am "blessed" with the opportunity for a ramp safety inspection. If my current part is of questionable legality, I'd rather locate and install whatever is correct. Did all -2H engines come standard with the lever-barrel apparatus, or is there a genuine plug or block-off plate available? If so, can someone supply a part # and/or picture?

Or, if a cover isn't available, what's the part number for the barrel/lever assembly and gasket? If the lever isn't used, does it get wired in a fixed position since evidently only one person out there is using it?

Better yet, anyone have a spare I could buy? :wink:

Thanks!

-Kennet
1953 C170B - N170RP S/N 25865
futr_alaskaflyer

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

I've never ever heard of a ramp inspection on a private part 91 operator that required the decowling of an aircraft :wink:

The worst that can happen is a dissective examination by a party in a NTSB investigation, in which event you will beyond caring. Perish the thought! :oops:
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
rydfly

Post by rydfly »

I understand. For what it's worth though, it's visible without removing the cowl. Mine has an STC'd belt-driven vacuum pump which requires the nose bowl from an early C172 installed, so there's no grille to hide behind, the wierd-o thing is in plain view.

I've had one ramp inspection in my short flying career as a private pilot. During the inspection, he asked if I would mind opening the cowling inspection door (it was a C172). I said I would, but got distracted and before I knew it, the inspection was finished and he hadn't looked inside. He found a fastener on a brake caliper that was improperly safety wired. I suppose as soon as he found something to report he considered his job finished...
rydfly

Post by rydfly »

gahorn wrote:I suspect you have a -2H engine (or perhaps a O-300-B) as others have noted. (Take a look at your engine data-plate and tell us which model engine you have.)
The data plate says only "C-145", as does the first engine log book. Then suddenly in the 2nd engine logbook it's noted as "C-145-2H"

Shouldn't the engine data plate have either a -2 or -2H?

The serial number on the plate does match all logbooks, even the first one.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Bruce is right, the plate in the pic is for the R/H side, for some reason I thought it fit on the L/H side. Here's the parts (apart) for the L/H side from an 0-300B.
IMG_0025.JPG
I'm not fond of these parts, the association maybe but as alluded to earlier I wouldn't loose any sleep nor would my dog.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Cont O-300 parts image-1.jpg
Cont O-300 parts image-2.jpg
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

rydfly wrote:Obviously whatever I have going on isn't affecting the function of my engine. My concern is that it's so visible, it may be a concern when/if I am "blessed" with the opportunity for a ramp safety inspection. If my current part is of questionable legality,...-Kennet
Firstly, you are presently conversing with the people most likely to even notice the part difference, and secondly I doubt any FAA type would have the knowlege to question the part. Thirdly, even if he did, he'd not likely be willing to risk putting his lack of knowlege in writing to complain about your part (which for all anyone knows is perfectly legal anyway!)

Don't get wrapped around the axle with this. It's been there a long time, appears appropriate, seems to work just fine, and certainly isn't a piece of duct-tape or vice-grip pliers barely holding something onto the engine (unlike SOME things I've seen on inspector's personal aircraft!)

It looks airworthy.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I'm with George on this. Send us 5 or 10 pictures of the rest of your plane and we'll identify even more stuff your plane has or doesn't have from the time it left the factory. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
rydfly

Post by rydfly »

Thanks for all the helpful info and perspective everyone. I'll move on to other concerns :wink:
n2582d

Mystery engine component SOLVED!

Post by n2582d »

rydfly wrote::?: Can somebody please tell me, what is this thing? I don't have and engine parts guide to view and it's not externally obvious (to me at least) what it's function is on my C-145-2.

Thanks!
This question was also posed by John here. I finally bit the bullet and gave Cessna over $300 for a single sheet of paper--the installation drawing for the Koppers Aeromatic propeller. That round part on the front left of the crankcase is Aeromatic p/n 20342 "adapter". Three hoses go from this adapter to a valve which is mounted on the engine. This valve has a rather long arm on it to which is attached to what looks like a vernier style propeller control cable. I had hoped that the internal valve which comes attached to the O-300 took the place of this aeromatic valve but apparently not. So is the TCM valve just for the McCauley 2-position prop? I also wonder if Aeromatic's valve allows for fine tuning of the low pitch stop.
Aeromatic%20Hi-Cruise%20Propeller.png
Aeromatic%20Hi-Cruise%20Propeller.png (53.06 KiB) Viewed 11741 times
Last edited by n2582d on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I understand your desire to know why and what, but if it is working OK, I wouldn't try to fix it or change it.

OMG! I have not been watching date lines on these comments and didn't realize how old this thread was. Meaculpa.
BL
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

I recently bought the regulator valve used by Koppers Aeromatic for the F200H installation from Tarver. The company that made the valve (Airmatic Valve, Inc.) is out of business so it looks like I will need to make the diaphragm to replace the 60 year old one in the valve. Any suggestions on what sort of material to use? Do they use fiber impregnated rubber for diaphragms?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

A thick piece of neoprene maybe. Look at the Scott MODEL B-711 master cylinder for an idea.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com