peformance with the 180hp

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

peformance with the 180hp

Post by ghostflyer »

I have just fitted a lycoming clone to my 170a. So for a 180hp what do we really get. I am hoping for a least 105kts cruize,but I have fitted 60in pitch sensenich prop so the figures will be unknown. I used Harrys STC and found it brillant so easy and good value. There wasnt any choice of overhaul or replacement of the O-300 as parts in OZ are very hard to obtain. Everything forward of the firewall is brand new. I wish for about 10 us gals an hour but heard stories of 8.6 gals an hour. Static rpm could be a issue also as sensenich states 2250-2450 rpm is required. I think I will obtain 2150rpm using the engine manufactures graphs. So any info will be greatly appreciated. One big WOW we had was from the day the aircraft left the factory and to now the aircraft only gained 9.5 lbs. I have the original weight chart and we had to do a reweigh due to a different engine.
blueldr

Re: peformance with the 180hp

Post by blueldr »

In the above, you comment that parts for the O-300 are difficult to find in the "OZ".

What, pray tell, is the "OZ"?
BL
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

OZ is Australia. We are of only 22 million people. 82% of our aircraft are built in the USA. I think we have only 15 cessna 170's in the country. So the market for the sale of spares of 170's is very restricted.
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

The 170 Asso. has a chart by Avcon that gives fuel burn for the Lycoming O-360 with differing combinations of altitude, mp, and rpm.
I sent it in a few years ago and assume it is available. If not, pm me with your address and I'll send a copy of my original.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I don't know the source of your Sensenich rpm data, but would be curious to know which prop model and the data source.

I would think O-300 parts would be just as common as Lycoming parts anywhere in the world....especially since freight doesn't change things that much.

What, specifically, is a "lycoming clone"?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

First off a big thankyou to Gahorn for a question that high lighted data regarding the static RPM of our new propellor. There has been a typo error with our Engineering Order for the requirements of a Sensenich 76EM8S5-0-60. A lycoming clone is often a Superior engine built in Texas. The Superior product has made inroads in the Australian market due to good service /availability and price of their parts. The number of aircraft in Australia [oz] fitted with the O-300 is rapidly declining due to the age and lack of available spares. A reasonable number of early Cessna172,s and 175,s have been modified by a O-360 engine addition. I am the first to change over in this country.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Is your Cessna 170 licensed in the "experimental" category? (It's my understanding that the Superior-clone is not intended for standard-certificated aircraft.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Superior engines are sold as a kit that is in a box with all parts that are PMA. They all have 8130 paper work. Plus superior has their own engine with a FAA type certificate. Was being fitted American Champion Citraba. So what a number of people are doing is using a data plate off a lycoming and doing a overhaul using 100% new parts. The goverment agency here recognizes the practice as it removes old engines out of the system . We have found Superior really supports their customers.
Thus my 170a is still in the private .VFR category.