Cracked Elevator Bellcrank Bracket P/N's 0510142 & 05101

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

gahorn wrote:And....to really muddy the water....notice that the Service Manual, 100 Series, 1962 and Prior....is not approved data. 8O (Just don't let anyone over at the FAA know that.)
There you go!

Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
KS170A

Re: Cracked Elevator Bellcrank Bracket P/N's 0510142 & 05101

Post by KS170A »

I was back in the tailcone of my airplane yesterday and noticed that the R/H bracket has a crack coming out of the top rivet. I was wondering if anyone has any updated information since this thread was last updated, particularly in regards to parts availability? Thanks!
--Josh
1950 170A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I've been informed that the previous comments regarding the approval basis of the Service Manual are no longer valid....the data is now FAA Approved (by virtue of date and subsequent submission by Cessna for approval in later revisions.)

This matter of the cracked Bellcrank Bracket has a timely article in this quarterly issue of The 170 News by Steve Grimsley, who discovered exactly the same crack in his bracket and subsequently replaced it. See the issue you've probably just received this week.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
KS170A

Post by KS170A »

Read the article, but I don't think I'll be making the "improvement" described. At least in my airplane, it is not the fastener that failed, but rather the material that fatigued. If anything, I would think reinforcing the bracket by bonding & riveting a doubler to a new bracket would be much better. Bolts (certainly standard AN bolts) do not take up all the space of the hole when installed, so the load paths which would go right through a properly installed rivet are then altered if a bolt is used. To remove material from the bracket would weaken the part further, probably ensuring that work will need to be done in the future.

As of last week, Cessna had 9 0510142's in stock, and 0510143's are made-to-order. Haven't heard how much they want for the 143's, but the 142's are available through Yingling Aviation for about $162. Other Cessna dealers' price may vary slightly.
--Josh
1950 170A
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

KS170A wrote: As of last week, Cessna had 9 0510142's in stock, and 0510143's are made-to-order. Haven't heard how much they want for the 143's, but the 142's are available through Yingling Aviation for about $162. Other Cessna dealers' price may vary slightly.
Continuing this earlier thread - I was just told that Cessna no longer makes 0510143/0510142-1. No longer made-to-order, but cancelled/out of production completely. 0510142's are still in stock, but it sounds like when the stock is depleted, that will be it.

Any ideas where to find 0510142-1, the right bracket? My A&P thinks it may be possible to repair the exisiting one, but reading the article, I am concerned that replacement may be needed.
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
hungstart

Re:

Post by hungstart »

gahorn wrote:And....to really muddy the water....notice that the Service Manual, 100 Series, 1962 and Prior....is not approved data. 8O (Just don't let anyone over at the FAA know that.)
Maintenance manuals in use by air carriers, transport category aircraft, are FAA accepted data. Normally the only manuals that are FAA approved are the SRM (structural repair manual) and the flight manual. I don't think we have to worry about the FAA in this matter. :wink: I would imagine that the maintenance manuals in general aviation are accepted data rather than "approved" data, but I could be wrong.
Rick
N170MB
wingnut

Re: Re:

Post by wingnut »

hungstart wrote:
Maintenance manuals in use by air carriers, transport category aircraft, are FAA accepted data. Normally the only manuals that are FAA approved are the SRM (structural repair manual) and the flight manual. I don't think we have to worry about the FAA in this matter. :wink: I would imagine that the maintenance manuals in general aviation are accepted data rather than "approved" data, but I could be wrong.
You're not wrong. I have a very large GA technical library. None of the GA aircraft manuals I have are 'FAA Approved', except a few SRM's, as you stated.
There are more than a few factors that determine whether data is 'approved' or 'acceptable'.
Take AC43.13 for an example. It's title is " Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices...". However first page, Page 1, para. 1(c) among other things says it may be used as approved data "if it is not contrary to manufacturers data". This statement implies that manufacturers data is approved, BUT, it's the mechanic that is left with answering this question. It's my opinion, and most of my PMI's have agreed, that so long as the work you are doing is not outside the scope of detail in the manufacturers manuals, you may use it as approved data, similar to the same way we can use AC43.13. This is where an A&P can his caboose in a crack; if you do anything that is not adequately described in the manufacturers manuals, you better have some other data to use along with the manufacturers data, that either alone, or together, so long as they are not contradictory, can be considered approved data.
Of course I don't have this in writing :D
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hmmmnn. I wonder what that says in the lower right hand corner of this manual?
click to ENLARGE
click to ENLARGE
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

I'm sure the discussion about what pubs are approved and what aren't is important, but seeing as this thread is about the Elevator Bellcrank Bracket, can anyone please point me in the right direction on options if my A&P can't repair the right bracket (0510142-1)?
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Fearless Tower wrote:I'm sure the discussion about what pubs are approved and what aren't is important, but seeing as this thread is about the Elevator Bellcrank Bracket, can anyone please point me in the right direction on options if my A&P can't repair the right bracket (0510142-1)?
Sorry about getting off topic. Being an old thread I went straight to page 2 and the discussion seemed more about the manuals.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but your A&P is the one 'on the sceen'; if he requires direction other than all of sources of information available to him, you may need to find a new A&P.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

wingnut wrote:Please don't take this the wrong way, but your A&P is the one 'on the sceen'; if he requires direction other than all of sources of information available to him, you may need to find a new A&P.
Totally agree with what you are saying, but also know that the guy working on my plane has many others in the shop. No one is going to care as much about my plane as I am, so if I can find a way of getting the part myself, it will mean getting my plane out of the shop a whole lot quicker.
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Fearless Tower wrote:
wingnut wrote:Please don't take this the wrong way, but your A&P is the one 'on the sceen'; if he requires direction other than all of sources of information available to him, you may need to find a new A&P.
Totally agree with what you are saying, but also know that the guy working on my plane has many others in the shop. No one is going to care as much about my plane as I am, so if I can find a way of getting the part myself, it will mean getting my plane out of the shop a whole lot quicker.
Have you tried Preferred Airparts? 800-433-0814
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
KS170A

Post by KS170A »

I lucked out and found a person locally who had replaced his entire bulkhead assembly. His bulkhead was damaged, but the brackets were serviceable, so I was able to salvage the bracket. A couple options you have are to find a serviceable part via salvage yard, or start calling Cessna parts distributors in hopes of finding one that may have one tucked in a corner of their store room.
--Josh
1950 170A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Fearless Tower wrote:
Locating a part for a shop can save you valuable time,.... especially if the shop is charging you the hourly rate while they search the market for parts....but BEWARE of "getting the part myself"...as it can come back to really bite you.

I am reminded of the example of taking your own eggs into the restaraunt and asking them if they'll fry them for you. When they break the yolks...who is responsible for replacing the eggs?

I once saved several hundred dollars on tires for a jet I used to fly by purchasing them myself from a buddy who had an aviation parts-store. I only had to pay the big jet-shop labor to install them. ...and to remove them again.... when the tires proved defective and had to be "warranted" ...by ME. 8O (Not only did I end up paying for tires twice...I ended up paying for installation labor twice too! ...can you spell "brake$ and wheel$ in$pection$ and gear retraction$ te$t$ which had to be repeated? )

Yes, a shop will charge a "mark-up" for parts....which helps them cover their warranty issues and their labor-mistakes which may damage the part and also helps cover their valuable time spent trying to locate that part... and if ...big if... they are lucky they might actually make a bit of profit for their efforts. Usually, however...they were offered a "market discount" from the seller...which you as an individual, likely one-time customer..... will not receive. You run a strong chance of not saving any actual money at all, and may actually be losing money by bringing your own "eggs" to the cook. :?

This is a great place to "locate" parts.... it's up to you as to who actually "picks" them and brings them to the shop.

Just hoping to be helpful.