Door hold-open fittings

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ratso

Door hold-open fittings

Post by Ratso »

I'm new to the club. Last Saturday I purchased N3244A, 1955 170B. So treat me gentle.

My question is the assembly that holds the doors open on the ground. The twisted metal part attached to the lower surface of the wing is intact. The opposite part that is attached to the door is missing on the port side door; just a hole is there. I see on the starboard door there looks to be a friction-type device to hold the door open when ingressing/egressing the aircraft.

Anyone have an idea how to find that friction holding part.

Thanks, Ratso
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Door hold-open fittings

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Those latches are part number A1663-017-1 which is superseded to S2436-1. They are available at Cessna dealers. A Cessna online parts dealer, Hill Aircraft has them for $1.33 a piece but they want you to order them in blocks of 25. I'd give them a call and see if they'll sell you a few.
http://www.cessnaparts.com/

Univair cross references this part to yet another number A 1663-0220-1 and list them for 76 cents a piece. You might call them and see what the shipping will be.

http://univairparts.com/shopping/advanc ... mit=Search

BTW I'm assuming from you description that you have the stock door holders. These things have been modified with at least 2 different tips and keepers over the years. The original holder attached to the wing is a one piece deal with the tip integral to the part. If yours has tips added your have been modified.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Ratso

Post by Ratso »

Bruce - Thanks very much. I start the search and let you know what I find.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Welcome to the club, Ratso!

The "friction holding part" to which you refer is probably one of the several after-market items available to hold the doors open. A photo might help identify which one you have. Originally there was just a spring clip (item # 29 in the illustration below) mounted inside the hole in the top of the door that engaged the bracket on the wing.
Fig33 Page60.JPG
Index 33 Page 61.JPG
Hint: Get yourself an Illustrated Parts Catalog for the 170B. It comes in pretty handy when you're discussing or looking for parts. :wink: By the way, I think you'll find that 3244A is a '53 B-model. There are quite a few differences among the 1952 to 1956 B-models, so when using the IPC, make sure the parts apply to your serial number (25888 if the entry for your airplane in the FAA database is correct).
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

If the rear part of the rear window is somewhat squared-off, it's a '55. If it's oval-shaped, it's an earlier model.

I need the same part, and if you end up buying in bulk, I'd be willing to buy a couple from you.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

jrenwick wrote:If the rear part of the rear window is somewhat squared-off, it's a '55. If it's oval-shaped, it's an earlier model.
...most likely, but not guaranteed... I know where there's a '52 model that had the cabin area replaced with one from a '55. It is still registered as a '52 but has the square back windows. Hey, even Bruce F's old "A model" had barn door flaps, so anything is possible :lol: . Ratso's airplane is a '53 if its the same one that Cessna assigned N3244A to when they built it (sn 25888).
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
KS170A

Post by KS170A »

Welcome to the forums and to 170 ownership, Ratso! Another option (albeit, more expensive than the standard door catch) is The Door Steward by Mtn View Aviation (http://mtnviewaviation.com/). I installed these on my 170A and have been very happy with them. I retained the original door stops just in case a gust of wind came from behind and tried to pull the door off while it is open.
--Josh
1950 170A
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
jrenwick wrote:If the rear part of the rear window is somewhat squared-off, it's a '55. If it's oval-shaped, it's an earlier model.
...most likely, but not guaranteed... I know where there's a '52 model that had the cabin area replaced with one from a '55. It is still registered as a '52 but has the square back windows. Hey, even Bruce F's old "A model" had barn door flaps, so anything is possible :lol: . Ratso's airplane is a '53 if its the same one that Cessna assigned N3244A to when they built it (sn 25888).
Or even weirder, a locally based '56 172 has the earlier oval style rear window. Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The official part is actually a Tinnerman clip, and it actually also works even with the aftermarket "HatchLatch".
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Ratso

Post by Ratso »

Gentlemen - Thanks for all the help. You are all correct, the aircraft is indeed a 1953. A local shop had a pair of Tinnerman clips in a dusty bin that was able to purchase (for a coke). I have another issue but will post a new thread.

Again, thanks! I look forward to years of fun and excitement with my "new" 170.