Dry Cell Battery

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

W.J.Langholz

Dry Cell Battery

Post by W.J.Langholz »

O.k. without looking like a farmboy that hasn't been off the farm in awhile.........

My plane has been changed over to a dry cell battery. How do they work? Do you charge them like normal? How long do the last? The thing doesn't look very big does it have cold cranking power?

Thanks for you comments

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
hungstart

Re: Dry Cell Battery

Post by hungstart »

W.J.Langholz wrote:O.k. without looking like a farmboy that hasn't been off the farm in awhile.........

My plane has been changed over to a dry cell battery. How do they work? Do you charge them like normal? How long do the last? The thing doesn't look very big does it have cold cranking power?

Thanks for you comments

W.
Very well
Yes, some chargers have settings for them, they like a little higher finishing voltage.
A long time
Yes, they do, check the specs online.
Rick
N170MB
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

I looked at my Concorde Instructions for airworthiness Maintenance Manual and It does say sqwat in it :evil:
so are you telling me that I can't use a normal charger on the battery? My system is a 12V.
This battery was installed 10-23-07 so it is 3 years old. I think they say they last 8-9 years?

It still starts the plane but just seems like it could use a boost.

W.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dubya... most Concorde's are not dry cell. They are recombinant gas, valve regulated.
Here's the Owner's Manual. Read item 2, page 7. (In fact, read the entire manual.) :wink:
Concorde Owners Manual.pdf
(60.13 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hungstart

Post by hungstart »

You can use the standard charger on the Concorde and the dry cell batteries. Some chargers have settings for different types of batteries.

Rick
Rick
N170MB
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

gahorn wrote:Dubya... most Concorde's are not dry cell. They are recombinant gas, valve regulated.
Here's the Owner's Manual. Read item 2, page 7. (In fact, read the entire manual.) :wink:
Concorde Owners Manual.pdf
Ok George you must make a ton of money.....you read that manual ? Better yet have you priced out a Beta D-50 Battery Charger p/n 4126, then a Alpha C-25 Battery Charger p/n 4142 and then a CA 1550 p/n 4149 .......

I was looking for something alittle closer to you "Tractor Supply" answer and I wasn't looking to buy a bunch of new equipment to check my battery to see what I needed to charge it up. Remember I'm a farmer at heart and still have a plyer in my back pocket......

W.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

More interesting reading for those of us that don't know much.

http://www.skytecusa.com/images/BatteryComparison.pdf
Last edited by W.J.Langholz on Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

W.J.Langholz wrote:...Ok George you must make a ton of money.....you read that manual ? Better yet have you priced out a Beta D-50 Battery Charger p/n 4126, then a Alpha C-25 Battery Charger p/n 4142 and then a CA 1550 p/n 4149 .......

I was looking for something alittle closer to you "Tractor Supply" answer and I wasn't looking to buy a bunch of new equipment to check my battery to see what I needed to charge it up. Remember I'm a farmer at heart and still have a plyer in my back pocket......

W.
I was only providing a reference for you, to notice the difference between "constant current" and "constant voltage" type chargers. There are many inexpensive such chargers around, and you probably already have one that can be used if the cautions about over-charging are followed in the manual. I use my common automotive charger on my Concorde, I just don't overcharge it. (A simple method to check capacity is to use known-wattage lamps such as automotive headlamps, and a clock/digital voltmeter. I'm math-challenged so I simply make certain my battery can run the landing lamps for 3 minutes and then simultaneously crank the engine, to determine a rough PASS of the test.)

Keeping in mind that our ship's main battery is for EMERGENCY SUPPLY OF ELECTRICITY...(not for what we all typically consider it's mission... engine-starting)... it is important that the battery be kept in top-condition. Many times owners try to squeeze the last bit of life out of an old battery by frequent charger use...many times IMPROPER charger useage. If all you ever do is daytime VFR in uncontrolled airspace... an old battery will probably get you by....as well as any NON-electrcal aircraft operators can confirm. But if you need electricity to complete your flight...you should periodically check battery capacity.

A digtial voltmeter is best, but even an analog one can be useful in determining during PRE-flight that our battery is capable of supplying enough electricity to get us back onto the ground at night/IFR/etc.., by switching OFF our generator/alternator prior to takeoff, and with all nav and land/taxy lights ON.... observing that our system voltage does not drop below 11.5 volts. While not "scientific"... it is a good functional-capacity test of our battery before committing to flight at night or IFR.

Don't forget to switch your gen/alt back ON prior to takeoff. (And don't EVER takeoff at night or IFR if you've had to "jump" or hand-prop your airplane to get it started due to a low battery.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)