New Mexico Backcountry Fly-In

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

PilotMikeTX

New Mexico Backcountry Fly-In

Post by PilotMikeTX »

I returned yesterday from the New Mexico Pilots' Association inaugural Backcountry fly-in at Negrito forest service strip (0NM7) near Reserve, NM. This strip is at 8140' MSL in the Gila National Forest. The fly-in was a huge success. There were 16 airplanes present on Friday night when I arrived. Several more came for the day on Saturday. There was good food, good company, (too many) adult beverages, a big campfire and authentic cowboy music provided by a local singer/songwriter and 180 driver. This was quite possibly the best flying weekend I've had. I'm pretty simple, but I had a damn good time.

Other than having the longest takeoff roll that I've ever had in a piston airplane, my stock 170A handled the elevation just fine. It's definitely doable without having a tricked out STOL bush plane if you take the proper precautions and operate conservatively. I'll post more on my planning and decision making process (ha!) if anyone is interested.

The NMPA is just starting to get some legs and they are working to get some legislation passed in New Mexico that would relieve property owners of any liability if their land is open for recreational use (including, but not limited to backcountry airstrips.) This could be something folks could use to bring similar laws to other states. It's a real sore spot for me that Texas has so much beautiful, varied and remote land, including two national parks, a national seashore, several national grasslands and national forests, but for the most part it isn't accessible by airplane.

Anyway, this will be one to put on the calendar for next year (and I'll probably return on my own sometime before then).

Next time I'll close the door and hide the cooler. :oops:

9500' MSL over the Manzano Mountains

Negrito Airstrip.
DaveF

Re: New Mexico Backcountry Fly-In

Post by DaveF »

Looks nice, Mike. I'll keep an eye out for it on next year's calendar.
akviperdriver

Re: New Mexico Backcountry Fly-In

Post by akviperdriver »

Mike,

Definately keep us all posted on this next year. Looks and sounds like a lot of fun!

-Chris
Chris Perkins
N8122A '52 170B
CFI, CFI-I, SEL, SES