Tach hour meter quit

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

4-Shipp

Tach hour meter quit

Post by 4-Shipp »

My tach is operating just fine RPM wise but the hour meeter has quit. From reading old tach threads here is t appears that the consensus in buy new instead of overhaul/repair. Looks like the Mitchel tack from Spruce, pn D1-112-5023, is the analog, mechanical tack of choice. Under $200 and with a new cable should be under $250. Two questions:

1. Anyone have a better alternative to this? No desire for digital, just cheap and dependable.

2. Anything else to buy besides the tach and cable? seals? gaskets?

Thanks.
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
lowNslow

Re: Tach hour meter quit

Post by lowNslow »

Chief Aircraft has the Mitchell unit for $178 and will put on the custom range markings for an additional $50 (it's not clear if Spruce offers markings). I also understand some instrument shops will reset the hour meter to match your old one.
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/airsec/Air ... Tachometer
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
LBPilot82

Post by LBPilot82 »

Skywest Instruments in Upland, CA rebuilt my tach (which was starting to twitch a little) and airspeed for me. I highly recommend his work. He refaced both as well and even put the small Cessna logo at the bottom of both. Excellent work, price isn't bad. He may be able to open up your old and fix it.
Richard Dach
49' A Model N9007A
SN 18762
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

OK I suggest you use a stop watch and keep time manually. That would be real cheap.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
DWood

Post by DWood »

You might consider having it repaired by a shop such as Century Instrument so you will have the the original equipment. I believe they can also set it up with the hours you want such as Total TIme or SMOH time. I have been satisfied with their work. It looks like they will charge $125 plus parts. http://www.centuryinst.com/PriceList_12 ... e_List.pdf
Dan
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Look at the bright side: You no longer are building time toward an overhaul. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

gahorn wrote:Look at the bright side: You no longer are building time toward an overhaul. :lol:

Yea, you are right, but the fuel burn per hour has gotten so high I don't think I can afford to fly her again this month :lol: .
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

When I bought my new Mitchell Tach two years ago I purchased it through the local instrument shop and they ordered it from Mitchell. They had new ones in stock and I could have just purchased one of those at less cost. However I wanted the numbers to match the total time on the airframe to keep log book total time continuity. Mitchell set the numbers to match my old tach reading with the range markings painted as I specified. Cost to me at the time was $295. The old tachometers if repairable can be repaired and reset with the numbers you like. An instrument shop can only set the new Mitchell instruments by high speed running them on the bench. So that if you want a new tach that has not been run, the only way to get it is have Mitchell set it up for you before it is shipped to the dealer.
The original tach cable would not work with the new tach as the connection at the instrument was different. This is the first time I had run into this issue with the many tachs I have replaced over the years. I bought the new tach cable from Spruce.

The new Mitchell tachs do not allow resetting the numbers internally with out de-soldering a plug or cap inside the tach and then re- soldering it after the numbers are reset. The old tachs could just have a "pin" pulled that allows the numbers to be rest. At least this is how it was explained to me. Ask you instrument shop.

Hope this helps,

Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
n1410d

Post by n1410d »

Give Ralph Stahl at Northwest Regional Airport (52F) a call. He's very good, and in DFW so you wouldn't have to send it far.

Stahl Air Instruments
817-430-8589
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ralph Stahl does excellent work indeed. And he tells a customer when his services are more expensive than the part is worth.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

I'll give Ralph a plug also. Although he supposedly is trying to wean himself out of the instrument repair business, he is still there and doing good work. I have had Ralph repair several instruments including a T&B recently. He was certainly reasonable on his price. Sometimes hard to get in touch with via phone, but usually does return calls. If he thinks your instrument isn't worth repairing he will tell you so rather than spend a lot of time/money & then tell you so.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

If we are allowed to plug people that do good work....I use Rudy Aircraft out of Rudy Arkansas....I have sent them crap, and received stuff that was like new....For less than the price of new. They will also set a tach to any time you instruct...Brad

Rudy Aircraft Instruments Inc.
FAA Repair Sta. RIZR-316K
4711 Old Bowman RD.
Rudy Arkansas 72952
(501)-474-8759