Omaha, NB Airports

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Omaha, NB Airports

Post by 170C »

Wondering if anyone has suggestions regarding small airports in the Omaha, NB area where fuel and rental cars may be available. Noted that there is one shown as 3NO (Omaha North). Anyone had experience with any of the ones around the city you would recommend? Looking for one to stay overnight following the Duluth Convention. Wanting to visit the SAC Musuem there.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
blueldr

Re: Omaha, NB Airports

Post by blueldr »

I wish I had some information in a good overnight stop for Omaha, but ,unfortunately, my visit to the SAC museum was on a trip by my PU Camper.
However, IMHO (as they say) it's the absolutely sorriest of all the satelite USAF Museums. When I visited, some years ago, SAC Hq. was still at Offut AFB and it was the most run down museum I ever visited even then. The displayed aircraft were in terrible condition. My suggestion would be to fly the extra miles and go First Class and visit the main one at WPAFB. The last time we visited there, we flew in to Green County Airport. They loaned us a courtesy car to visit the museum for the three days we were there. (WX delay on 3rd day)
BL
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Frank A few years ago I landed at Epply the main Class C airport and found them very helpful you just need to be carefull as they have paralel runways and one is much shorter than the other so if you approach from the Northwest it can be confusing. Controllers were nice and the fees were not too bad as I recall. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
170C

Post by 170C »

Thanks for the suggestions. blueldr, now that the SAC Museum has been relocated over by Ashland they may have upgraded the displays. Although photo's can be deceiving, the website seems to indicate some nice displays. I particularically want to see the B-36 and the B-58 since I spent a lot of years working on the one's we had here in Fort Worth(museum). I've been to WPAFB 3-4 times and that really is a nice museum. Even got a self-guided tour of the B-36 one time and had dinner under its wing on another occasion. My last visit was when we had the convention at Shelbyville. I think they have added another building since then and I would enjoy seeing it as well.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
jon s blocker

Post by jon s blocker »

The airport at Omaha North is a nice little airport. Kind of out of the way. You would need to go all of the way accross town to get to the museum. You would be closer to go to Epley and get a car from there. The general aviation is on the east side of the field. Omaha North used to belong to a friend of my father and I have flown in there before, but not recently, although I just drove by it about 3 weeks ago. I just think you would be further ahead to go into Epley and drive from there. Epley is not too busy and has everything you need. Jon
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Not sure if I'm too late for you but, I'm originally from Omaha (and my brother is a new FAA Controller there as well as an MEII). Epply is a nice Class C field with the standard rental car places. It's on the east side of the city.

Another option is Milliard Airport. It is on the SW side of Omaha, single runway and T-line. Milliard Aviation is the FBO (Jack is the owner, Ginger is the desk clerk during the week....her dad flew for the Red Baron Stearman Team for over a decade before they folded) and has T-line, gas and some hangar spaces available for visiting planes/pilots. It is just off I-80 and is about 15 mi closer to the Museum. They can definitely arrange to have a rental car waiting for you there. Of note, make sure you listen to the AWOS as they can get some "fun" crosswinds there on occasion. Also, Milliard has an instrument approach as well.

I currently keep my 170 at Blair Airport (NW or Omaha). There is no FBO there....self serve gas only.

Have fun!!! Let me know if you need restaurant recommendations :)
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)