Wingnut in Mena

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jon s blocker

Wingnut in Mena

Post by jon s blocker »

Has anyone heard from Del in Mena? Hope things are OK for him. If anyone hears let us know. Jon
Bill Hart

Re: Wingnut in Mena

Post by Bill Hart »

Our thoughts and payers are with him and everyone in Mena.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

What transpired in Mena? I have no TV for news and there was nothing in this mornings "Sacramento Bee" paper, (which was probably printed last nite).
BL
jon s blocker

Post by jon s blocker »

There was a large tornado. Very destructive. 2 deaths, several injuries. I haven't seen any pictures yet. Saw some quotes from the airport manager, so I fear it was hit. Jon
KG

Post by KG »

I have received an email from Del and he said he and his family are all ok. He indicated that the airport had little or no damage but other areas are devastated.
Keith
53 170B
PilotMikeTX

Post by PilotMikeTX »

Are they in need of any assistance that isn't already available? I'm in Dallas, my back seat is out of my A model and I have a full tanks.
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

No damage here at the airport. I still had power and phone here at the hangar and was able to call and/or email family and customers. However, power was shut off for repairs and I lost internet service provider until this morning.
Thanks for the concern. We had 2 tornadoes. My wife and I stood outside our home, which is 10 mile NW of Mena. We watched one twister pass 2 miles west of our home on N/NE track, and the other approx 3 miles south on an E/NE track. The latter was the one that hit Mena. The former was mostly in our beautiful National Forest, just missing the Lodge on Rich Mtn.
I was out cleaning fence row, using one of those Troy Bilt walk behind sickle bar mowers (noisy machine). If I hadn't seen a flash of lightning and shut the machine down, I wouldn't have even seen the black, I mean very black mass to the west and southwest. I made it back to the house just as the hail started. It was beautiful weather minutes before.
My family, home, and business are all fine. No damage at the airport at all. Downtown is heavily damaged, both old and newer residential and business areas. Although I was not directly affected, being a relatively small town/county, we are all victims to varying degrees. One of our church family was killed, and many friends and neighbors have lost everything.

Standing up on a house in an elevated area, I estimated at least 400 structures heavily damaged. That's observation from one location, and I could see that many because there are no trees anymore, or anything to obscure view. It's amazing there were only 3 deaths, 30 something injuries.

Like the 1993 tornado, people from everywhere (TX,LA,OK,MO,TN,MS,KS) have come to help. Individuals and churches have opened their homes, and pockets for those in need. It's reassuring to know we live in a country where benevolence is the rule rather than exception.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas