Check Rides

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N2540V

Check Rides

Post by N2540V »

Did you have a check ride lately?
Some of us are just a little nervous when the you should be cool and calm..
Check Rides are tough no matter where you are from

This little training video will help.
It is a whopping 22.4 MB and takes a little while to download but worth the wait.
http://www.jimpitman.us/checkride.wmv

Bonus Question of the day.
Which actor is most like George Horn?
voorheesh

Re: Check Rides

Post by voorheesh »

I can't wait for my next checkride. That wouldn't have been George in the right seat would it?
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

N2540V wrote:Did you have a check ride lately

Bonus Question of the day.
Which actor is most like George Horn?
Telly Savalas..........."Who loves ya baby"

do I get 2 guesses ......why not George C Scott "Patton" :wink:
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Love that pen click and the clip board. That was obviously George. :)

Had my latest check ride just last night. I fly a S-76 helicopter single pilot so an auto pilot is required and if any part of it isn't operating it is an emergency while IMC. The aircraft was just out of maintenance were they fixed a circuit breaker labeled auto pilot that would not reset indicating a dead short. The autopilot worked flawlessly in this condition how ever leading many of us to wonder just what that circuit actually did.

Well after about 6 hours of tracking the wires maintenance found the short and fixed it and reassembled the aircraft. It's was severe VFR so the Check Airman and i jumped in the aircraft and off we go for my check ride. We'll test the auto pilot on the fly.

Well it didn't take but 2 minutes to realize that the only part of the "fixed" auto pilot working was the direction either heading or navigating a nav source. There was no altitude, airspeed, climb or decent. Great. My check ride will now be flown totally by hand or at least the altitude and airspeed will be and for added enjoyment the check airmen will trouble shoot all the autopilot systems both my side and his while I'm doing it. Oh joy.

Well after making 2 pretty good precision approaches, one with a single engine (the auto pilot failure wasn't enough) and 2 non-precision approaches the ride was over. Of course since I landed the aircraft not once but 4 times under what would be an emergency situation had we been IMC, and I was able to reuse the aircraft, I passed the ride.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Terk170B

Post by Terk170B »

Hi Bruce,
Good to know that I am not the only helicopter guy here. I used to fly a 365 SPIFR for nine years with CJ.
I am flying for CHC now but, two pilot crew. Just so happens I am at HELISIM at Eurocopter in Marseille Fr. right now.
Just finished my recurrent training today with a checkride scheduled on Sat. I will be back home in the good old USA on Sunday night. (I Hope)

What model 76 are you flying? SPZ 7000 or 7600? I am supposed to be going into the C+ on my next tour.

Anyway, nothing like having a engine fire with a partial panel and a LG pump fail while on a ARA radar approach with BAD weather. At least it was in the Sim
this time. They don't call it the hot box for nothing.

My check Airman's name is George, I wonder if ? No, must be a different guy.

Bill Terkeurst
1954 170B
N3453C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Bill your not the only helicopter guy in the association though we are few and far in between. Good thing to because it makes it easier to baffle the fixed wing guys with BS. :lol:

Flying a S76A++ with the SPZ 7000. We just had a Garmin 400 installed. Oh goodie we actually have a moving map. Appearantly ours is the first such installation of a Garmin product and the SPZ to be done. At least it worked for a few days anyway. :cry:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Oxymorons: Amicable divorce. Good Lawyers. Military Intelligence. Microsoft Works. Helicopter Pilots. Image

(Just jealously kidding.) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

gahorn wrote:Oxymorons: Amicable divorce. Good Lawyers. Military Intelligence. Microsoft Works. Helicopter Pilots. Image

(Just jealously kidding.) :wink:
May i Add JUMBO shrimp and pseudo-intelligence.....nothing against Helo pilots.... just two more Oxymorons
N4281V

Post by N4281V »

New link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejnTG7d4DMo

I still don't like taking checkrides. Last one was past Friday - 135 recurrent at George's neighbors across the way. Autopilot was broke in the sim Thursday, so that session was flown by hand. Hate to say I didn't do too bad flying around on one engine by hand. Thank goodness it was fixed since we needed it for Friday's ride to rid any sort of A/P restriction.

I guess we'll be back in 6 months.... *ugh* :roll: :lol:
Ann W.
1948 Cessna 170
N4281V (sn 18699 - wings) & the former N4147V (sn 18479 - fuselage)