Oil Leak

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Oil Leak

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

George, what type of Hylomar are you talking about. They have 3 products, one is an RTV the other two are not.
http://www.hylomarusa.com/products.htm
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Univeral Blue is what was approved for aircraft engines by Rolls Royce and Continental. "Typical applications include water pumps, oil pumps, instrument inspection covers, cylinder heads, oil sumps, intake manifolds, timing case covers, gear box and transmission housings, and as a coating for pre-formed gaskets."

http://www.hylomarusa.com/universal_blue.htm

Their RTV has been used for gaskets for oil sumps and it also does a good job, but not officially "blessed".
http://www.hylomarusa.com/rtv_sealants.htm
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

It looks like there are several formulations of Universal Blue including several "Aerograde" versions.
http://www.hylomarusa.com/data.htm
It sounds like the "Aerograde Ultra" version is the one used by Rolls Royce.
http://www.hylomar.us/pdfs/MSDS/TDS%20H ... 0Ultra.pdf
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
HA

Post by HA »

if you use the Real gaskets which I believe are silicone construction, then no sealant will really do you much good - nothing much sticks to silicone material. the best for that would probably be Permatex form-a-gasket #2. if you're worried about removing form-a-gasket residue just use carb cleaner, cleans it right up. I use Form-a-gasket on pretty much all of the gaskets when I build up engines, it fills in the pores etc in the metal surfaces left from tool marks, bead blasting, etc. you can also use it on bolt threads where they penetrate an oily area, like some case bolts etc.

a persistent oil leak up in the rocker box area is likely either a tiny hole/crack in something, leaking rocker cover (crack from overused screw holes, wear from rocker shafts, or deformed from overtightening - a bigger problem with the silicone gaskets), or the pushrod tubes. I had good luck sealing a couple of leaking pushrod tubes by using some JB weld on them when I reswedged them.
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
fishdoc

Post by fishdoc »

A small corrosion hole in one and a crack at the screw hole in another of the 6 magnesium pushrod flanges where the pushrods enter the engine case was the culprit causing a substantial oil leak in my O-300B. It took pulling the cylinders to discover it but was an easy fix otherwise.
Unfortunately now we're back to chasing leaky pushrod seals, leaky starter gasket, etc :roll: ....
It'll be a happy day when there isn't a bunch of fresh drips every time I pull up and park someplace :oops:
1952 170B (with the sexy rounded tail)
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

If it ain't leaking, it's probably out of oil!
I kind of enjoy wiping the little trail of oil behind the firewall...
Helps me bond with my bird.
Cheers
170C

Post by 170C »

Fishdoc, sounds like you are "feeling my pain" or vise-versa :wink: I guess we don't have to worry about things rusting because from cowling to tailwheel gets lubercation :roll: 4 Stripes, I like your attitude. I need to look on all of these challenges with a similiar one :D Someday I am going to go out to the hangar and have nothing to do except go flying--------aah, I remember those days of long ago :!: Maybe I need to put some Bar's Leak in my sump. That would stop those cottonpicking leaks---------permanently :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Just pretend it has a radial.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

WHAT I don't have a radial with all the oil leaking out my cowl? :D
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

Well coincidently, I have the same problem going on. 4 of my 6 silicone "Real Gaskets" have started to leak to an annoying level. I don't know why as I have not touched the screws to overtighten them. But once these things start to leak, they don't seem to stop. So I have decided to go back to regular old gaskets. I discussed the matter with my engine rebuilder and he said NO to Permatex style RTV. He said to use Hylomar (didn't specify which Hylomar product exactly) or plain old Fuel Lube. Also talked to my regular A&P and he said to use Fuel Lube too. Fuel Lube doesn't so good in this application to me but what do I know? Anyone else use Fuel Lube with any success?

Thanks, Bruce
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

N3243A wrote: Anyone else use Fuel Lube with any success?

Thanks, Bruce
Yep......
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
robert.p.bowen

Post by robert.p.bowen »

As others suggested, first be sure the rocker box covers are flat. Second, there can be no oil on the rocker box or the covers. They'll not seal and for sure will leak if not dry before installing. Finally, if you decide to go with the "old style" gaskets, try using HondaBond or YamaBond (from your friendly Honda or Yamaha parts dep't.). These seal MUCH better than RTV or its ilk, and can be removed. A thin film is all you'll need.
Bob-
170C

Post by 170C »

After repeated attempts at stopping the oil drips on 2 of my valve covers, "I THINK" I may have finally succeeded in fixing them. Sat morning was spent removing them once again and inspecting the Real Gaskets for damage. One had cuts up high which may not have contributed to the leak, but a little work on the valve cover itself and careful replacement of a new gasket (and a trip around the patch) seems to indicate that one is, at least for the most part, fixed. The second one appears that the mechanic (well the wrench turner--ie: ME :oops: ) apparently got the gasket upside down in the valve cover and now that I have completed that task, it too seems to have stopped leaking. Engine got a wash down today and now another test flight is needed to confirm if this did the trick. I appreciate all the suggestions and hope I can return the favor at some time.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

170C wrote:... the mechanic (well the wrench turner--ie: ME :oops: ) apparently got the gasket upside down in the valve cover and now that I have completed that task, it too seems to have stopped leaking. ....
UH-OH, Frank. You didn't also get it INSIDE-OUT .... did you? :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Well George, I don't know about INSIDE OUT, but there sure is a difference in wrong side up and down. Its easy to get the gasket incorrectley installed and also easy for it to drop down or be up a bit too much when actually putting the valve cover back on the cylinder :oops: :oops: :oops:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018