Rivets or screws in lead balance weight

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

shawnadele

Rivets or screws in lead balance weight

Post by shawnadele »

I recently removed my tailfeathers for refurbishing and noticed a difference in how the lead balance weight in the elevators was attached.
One side has rivets, and the other has screws. I assume both had rivets originally and I'm wondering how I should go about replacing it for return to service? If the screws are OK to use as I guess they are, do they need to be stainless? Should I try to replace the rivets? If so, where would I get them as they are non-standard length and size.
Thanks!
N1629D
GAHorn

Re: Rivets or screws in lead balance weight

Post by GAHorn »

Both self-locking rivets and PK screws were used for this purpose. The primary consideration.... AND IMPORTANT PRE-FLIGHT INSPECTION activity is to ascertain they are tight and do not interfere with elevator-to-stabilizer clearances. Only a slight amount of extension (looseness) can ruin your day and lock your elevators. Use whatever PK screws you wish, cad or stainless. Do not overtighten or you'll simply strip the lead.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)