Generator Problems Again

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Yes, I am now a believer. I'm just glad George didn't chime in with an "I told you so" :roll: I never saw the post concerning cutting the generator gasket, just as I never saw the info regarding the operational life of generator brushes. Hey, it all worked out fine...this way I have more time to cut the grass on the runway while waiting for my new gaskets to arrive :lol:
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

This just keeps getting better :o Reinstalled my new generator today taking the tach housing off and using the entire gasket as God intended. Used a moderate amount of Permatex aviation gasket sealer, put the oil back in and went for a ground run. All appeared OK for 10 minutes until I goosed the power up to 1400 RPM. The oil started to flow once again, but at a slower rate. Sooooo out goes the oil again and off comes the gen and tach drive housing again (I can do this with my eyes closed now). Since I used the same type gasket compound on my B&C starter last year with good results, I think the problem is that I am not letting the stuff set up long enough before adding oil and ground running. I cleaned the gasket and flanges up, then put four coats of copper bearing sealer on the gasket and flanges and will let the sealer set up overnight and try again in the morning :x If it still leaks then....I'll just figure that leak into my oil usage and continue to clean the belly after every flight :(
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Grrrrrr :evil: This morning saw more oil erupting from the generator flange. I transferred this thread over to oil leak in the hangar section....as this is the largest leak I've seen with the exception of a hole in the sump 8O I'm about one step away from throwing the generator in the trash and installing a nice flat blanking plate over the hole....no on second thought I should have the plate WELDED over the hole to make sure the oil leak is sealed :x It's 0900 and I need a cold Guiness :wink:
kloz

Post by kloz »

The blanking plate may be a good test to make sure it is not coming through the generator some how. :?:
Carl
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Good thought, however if this new generator is leaking through the shaft seal I'll go ballistic. I've just now settled down from being caught in Memphis with a failed gen, and having to pay a "discount" rate of $430 for a new generator, then another $200 for installation, only to get home and find the underside of my airplane dripping with oil :evil: Anyway, I know it is not the seal, as each and every time I've attempted to re-install the generator, I crank up and sit on the left tire and watch as the oil starts to oooozzzz out from the very top of the generator mounting flange. By the way, if you guys notice a nation-wide shortage of O-300 generator mounting gaskets, you can blame me as I think I have quite a collection by now :roll: Actually I'm doing you all a favor because all of the gaskets I've used so far leak....you would not have wanted them anyway....unless you like your airplane belly slicked with oil :wink:
Indopilot

another way

Post by Indopilot »

My Dad discovered a way to fix our pesky generator problem. Get caught in a dust devil and run into the fence. Then install the 180 lyc waiting in the shop. He did get carried away and not only got the prop but the wing, aileron, horizontal, and elevator also. :oops: :cry:
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel