Cessna SEB07-5 "Compliance is mandatory?"

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

CBogle

Cessna SEB07-5 "Compliance is mandatory?"

Post by CBogle »

Dear fellow members:

Just received owner advisory SEB07-5A from Cessna that says the following:

"This Owner Advisory is to inform you that SEB07-5: Pilot and Copilot Secondary Seat Stop Installation has been issued to announce that Service Kits are available to install a new design seconday seat stop for the pilot and copilot seats.

The seconday seat stop is designed to assist...

Compliance is mandatory: shall be accomplished within the next 200 hours of operation or 12 months, whichever occurs first.

The information contained in the referenced Cessna Service Bulletin shall be considered an amendment to the Cessna Manufacturer's Service ?maintenance Manual or Instructions for continued airworthiness, and must be accomplished for ongoing airworthiness compliance in accordance with 14 CFR Part 43.13."

Qeustions:

1. Does this apply to our Cessna 170's with or without the original seats?
2. Is it mandatory?

Thanks,

Curt
thammer

Post by thammer »

I've been taught service bulletins are not mandatory for us GA guys. If you're a 135 operation it's another story and you'd have to comply with the manufacturers service bulletins.

tye
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Notice that Cessna has yet to redesign a faulty seat track system. Instead they have you and me mad at a particular trial lawyer who wins multi-million dollar lawsuits for children who lose parents due to a design that continues to fail, and they got the FAA to create an AD that puts the onus on you and me, and got Clinton to sign a limited liability act into law giving mfr's only 18 yrs of liability. Boy! That sure has reduced the cost of new planes, huh? And it has also ensured that owners of planes older than 18 yrs. can still get parts and get them worked on too, huh?
Like George said - - Pass the buck to the owner. We have lost more that one pilot to this faulty system and now here is another band-aid.
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
mit

Re: Cessna SEB07-5 "Compliance is mandatory?"

Post by mit »

CBogle wrote:Dear fellow members:

Qeustions:

1. Does this apply to our Cessna 170's with or without the original seats?
2. Is it mandatory?

Thanks,

Curt
1.yes
2. no
Tim
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

If it's a service bulletin you can use it to get your camp fires started. If you stack all your beer right behind the pilots seat, this can also keep the seat from going all the way back should the initial latch fail. Common safety sense.

Joe
4518C
sphillips

Post by sphillips »

Just received a copy of SEB07-5 (SEB07-5A is only the advisory telling you there is a bulletin). It is 17pages long, and the secondary stop is what appears to be an inertia reel seat type belt. The inertia reel attaches to the aft bottom lateral support of the seat, and the belt end attaches to a bolt that penetrates the cabin floor under the seat. If you opt to have it installed it has to be accomplished by a Single Engine Service Station, otherwise, you eat the $153 for the pilot seat, and/or the $186 for the copilot seat, plus the 6 manhours to install each. I think I will stick with my aftermarket secondary seat stops.
N3598C, C170B