Throttle Cable

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Throttle Cable

Post by 170C »

I had been having some problems with my throttle over the past year (or so). I couldn't stand by the door and move the throttle in/out without a lot of effort. Sitting in the seat, it worked a little better, and after flying for a while it "seemed" to be a bit easier. I pulled the old one out with the intent of lubercating it & reinstalling same. Had a friend who suggested prior to the removal that lubercating might not be the best thing to do. After I got it off and looked at the 3 or so places where the coating was rubbed off, I bit the dust & ordered a new one from McFarlane ($151.00 :( ) ) could have most likely gotten the same thing but not technically "unapproved" for about $55 from Spruce. Had fun putting it back on (I lie a little once in a while). I couldn't believe how easy the throttle works now. Finger tip response. Just proves how we become accustomed to dealing with something and don't realize how bad the situation may have been. Thanks to the forum, I replaced my old rod end with the currently accepted designed one too. My IA looded at the old one I removed and commented that it should have been replaced "20 yrs ago".
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
djbaker

Post by djbaker »

After years of flying with the old throttle I just felt I couldn't trust the thing not to come off in my hand someday on final. Not really a reality, but that's how I felt. Anyway I did change to the more modern Cessna throttle and now I'm good for another 58 years. I kept the old one for the purists.
JIM BAKER
Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

My throttle cable was extremely stiff, but we lubricated it during last fall's annual and it works great - though replacing a 52 year old part would probably be a good idea for me.

Paul
N3458D
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

Paul-WI wrote:My throttle cable was extremely stiff, but we lubricated it during last fall's annual and it works great - though replacing a 52 year old part would probably be a good idea for me.

Paul
N3458D
Good idea to include lubrication of all the push/pull controls as a regular part of your maintaince. I find a drop of oil at each end of the cable a couple times a year keeps things working great. Of course, if the parts show wear, replacement may be in order. 8)
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Most persnickety types will replace all engine controls at TBO.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dave Clark

Re: Throttle Cable

Post by Dave Clark »

170C wrote: ...Snip.... I bit the dust & ordered a new one from McFarlane ($151.00 :( ) ) could have most likely gotten the same thing but not technically "unapproved" for about $55 from Spruce. ....SNIP.... .
Believe me, they are not at all the "same thing". :) You did right with the McFarlane, it will operate much smoother and will outlast the others by quite a long time.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

It has been my experience that a lot of times when the cables get stiff, they are about to break. $151 is pretty cheep insurance.
Shawn