Bad Shopping Experience

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dacker

Post by dacker »

4Stripes said "...the wings were off a 172, YET NOTHING WAS LOGGED..."!!!!
That is not good.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cfiatzph wrote:
blueldr wrote:4stripes,

How did you determine that the wings on the 170 were from a 172?

Fuel tanks??? Year model??? I"m curious. I thoufgt the early 172s were the same.
I was wondering the same. I think MAYBE some early 172's had a option for zinc chromate inside where as no 170's came with it??? I don't know nor do I think it matters. I don't care if the whole airplane was rebuilt as long as it is legit and in good conditon, come on these planes are 50 plus years old.
The commercial airplane specification sheet for the 170 lists "seaplane" and "agricultural" kits, both of which provided chromated interior surfaces. So if your airplane was chromated from the factory it likely had one of those options.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Hey Greg, that 170 you looked at in SW MN wasn't blue over white was it? The first 170 I went to see back in 2002 was in SW MN. It was a 1953 170B that had spent time in Central America as a "fly sprayer" where the right seat faces aft and they release flys for some agricultural reason. Had a REALLY large door cut into the left side of the fuselage taking away the left rear window. The whole door would hinge up and was secured in the closed position by some really ugly looking AN5 bolts. The paint was a nice color, but was a home job with lots of over spray and thin areas feeling like fine grit sandpaper. Poor plane....I wanted to save it but that big door cut into the left side really broke the deal. I often wondered what ever happened to this unfortunate C-170B :(
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
sea1dww

Post by sea1dww »

I made the mistake of sending money prior to actually seeing the airplane. The decision to do so was based on an annual inspection that I ordered by a mechanic who, I have come to believe, was less than honest in his evaluation. The mechanic didn't even show up to meet me for a walk around when I flew out to pick up the airplane. He was convienently out of town that day, after telling me he would be there. I'm finding all sorts of problems that were never mentioned and repairs that were never entered in the logs.

Its an expensive lesson, but I'm determined to make this airplane one that I can be proud of.

Dave