I'm really not trying to make trouble, but...

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Iceman07

I'm really not trying to make trouble, but...

Post by Iceman07 »

is there a typo on the top of page 11 in the latest issue of "The 170 News"?

"Best Original C170B"? or, more likely do I just not know what is meant by "Original"?
N5740C 1950 'A' Model
JJH55

Post by JJH55 »

I was wondering the same thing Ice. Didn't the article say it had won "Best Modified 170B" in 97?

JJH55
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Obviously it was "modified" back to "orginal" back itn '97. :D

I can't shed any light on whether it's a typo or not. But I can comment on the different judging categories.

A highly modified aircraft can be judged in the original category if the owner wishes. After all there is bound to be something original about the aircraft. If no one else enters the category or another aircraft more modified than yours enters, you would win.

Rules can be found at our members only page.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

N9149A wrote: A highly modified aircraft can be judged in the original category if the owner wishes. After all there is bound to be something original about the aircraft. If no one else enters the category or another aircraft more modified than yours enters, you would win.

Rules can be found at our members only page.
Well I should have read our rules before typing.

Seems the owner can't choose the category the aircraft is judged in the judges do by the aircraft scoring.

You can have a modified aircraft win the "Best Original" and most have some mods these days. It seems unlikely that the aircraft mentioned in the 170 News could be a "Best Original".
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
ron74887

Post by ron74887 »

well there were 3 judges and the minus points did not add up to get it in the custom category. one thing that may have changed now is any 0300 series engine is acceptable as original even though it was not standard. the plane had and 0-300-D whereas any other type engine automatically threw it in the custom category. I don't know the rules used earlier but the present ones are what we followed. Hopefully this might help. Ron One of the judges
President 86-88
53 C170-B N74887, people choice 2003, Best original B 2007
46 7BCM champ N2843E Rebuilding stage
Cajun Connection way down south, most of you are yankees to me!