Factors when buying a 170

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I wouldn't waste anyones time and money for a special ride until I was more than just interested in the aircraft. What I mean is once I looked over the plane and found I liked what I saw and the price was in my range and I could see myself owning the plane then a ride might be in order. I'm a talking about a plane of a style or model I've already ridden in. If I'd never ridden in that style then perhaps a ride might come slightly sooner but not much.

I once flew an hour to see a Piper Pacer with a 180 conversion. I was really hot to by a Pacer. Just had to have one and it was going to have a 180. This plane was perfect. Had everything I wanted and was even in my price range. You could say there wasn't much that was going to sour the deal.

On roll out I looked over and there it was. One of the UGLIEST brown and yellow airplanes I ever saw and it was a Pacer. Could there be two Pacers at one field. I sure hoped there was because there was no way I was buying that terd.

After meeting the owner and looking over the plane the owner offered a ride around the patch. He and my friend were shocked when I declined. There was just no way I was buying that airplane. Didn't matter how well it flew or how much he dropped the price. I didn't want to waste anymore of the owners time or money.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
MeeksDigital

Post by MeeksDigital »

just wanted to thank you all for posting such great advice! I'm on my way to look at a 170A tomorrow and I'm definitely copying down these suggestions to take with me, in terms of what to look for and where to look for it.

thanks again.
-Trevor Meeks

Filmmaker http://www.meeksdigitalstudios.com
Photographer http://www.meeksdigital.com

1950 Cessna 170A N5LP, Horton STOL, 180 Gear
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Bruce I cant believe you actually found an airplane that was too ugly even for your tastes. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Yes Bill it is hard to believe. Thing is the owner and I got to be fly-in friends. We ran into each other about avery month or so after that for the next three years. He usually had the Pacer which we wasn't really trying to hard to sell so I had more than one opportunity over the next two years to buy the plane. Never could bring myself to do it.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com