Brazilian Mid Air collision B-737/Embraer

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Brazilian Mid Air collision B-737/Embraer

Post by GAHorn »

Last weeks mid-air between a 737 and an Embraer have been written up by an onboard NY Times reporter.
According to the AvWeb, the two American pilots are being held and may be charged with manslaughter, accused of operating with the Txdr Off, and disregarding a descent instruction from ATC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/03/busin ... 0&emc=eta1
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

I just read this on AVWEB. I sure hope the pilots are not going to be the scape goats. Having flown a lot in South and Central I can attest to the language barrier issues and a lack of radar coverage. I am not saying that that was the issue where they were but most of South America that is the case.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It certainly should be a heads-up for ALL of us that when flying we need to be attentive, professional, competent, and insured! (Including personal liability/defense insurance such as offered by some pilot organizations. Probably the only reason I belong to AOPA is to get the personal/professional insurance.)
And one of the main reasons I no longer will fly in central/south America is the goofy laws and failure of courts to protect individuals rights down there. (Remember when the Mexican judge released the 5 murderers of the Dallas businessman from jail because they'd given the money they'd stolen from his dead body to kids in the neighborhood? That was the final straw for me as for any travel in or purchases from Mexico.)
However, if true, a pilots violation of operating regs anywhere should be validated, considered serious...and very possibly criminal.
Last edited by GAHorn on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

However, if true, a pilots violation of operating regs anywhere should be validated, considered serious...and very possibly criminal.
True.