Engine Rebuild - One Year Later

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dacker

Engine Rebuild - One Year Later

Post by dacker »

As I mentioned in another post, I just put 150 hours on my new rebuild in the past year. I must say, I have been very pleased. I spent about $18 grand on a firewall forward, that is I replaced or rebuilt everything from the engine mount bolts to the prop and everything but the alternator and starter in between. The engine was broken down and everything sent out for inspection, the crank was machined, cam replaced, new carb and mags, harnesses, plugs, new wiring, hoses, scat, baffle seals, etc.

What I have wound up with is a very dependable airplane (and somewhat expensive, initially). I now can go flying with a lot more peace of mind, knowing that I have done all that I can to keep an honest airplane, and when I load up my kids for a short flight to their grandparents I know that the safety statistics are on my side.

What is a bit ironic is that I bought this 170 as sort of my pre-180/185, that is I wanted to hone my taildragger skills in a cheaper airplane before buying a more expensive 180/185. Now, I am not sure that I would want one. I don't think I could operate one for anywhere near as cheaply as the 170, besides, most of my flying just doesn't require the extra power or payload.

Now that I feel like I have a dependable airplane I really would like to plan that Alaska trip. I am thinking maybe next summer. I would also like to try to organize a group or at the very least meet some of the Alaska members. Stay tuned.
:) David
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The difference in operating costs for a 170 versus a higher-powered airplane can be a surprise if you've never owned one of those fire-breathers before.
One surprise: The mileage per gallon isn't a great difference... 13/15 gph in my 206 was a higher hourly cost than the 7.8/8 gph of my 170...but the miles per gallon wasn't that different... the 170 gets 13 mpg and the 206 got 11...still the 170 had the advantage in everything except load hauling and ceiling.
Second surprise: If I reduced cruise power in the 206 to run only 15 kts slower it would exactly duplicate the 170's mpg while cruising 130 kts though. And when the 206 was operated with only one or two occupants, (the typical load I carry in the 170), it's takeoff/climb was spectacular.
Third surprise: The annual costs of annual inspections made a BIG difference. The typical 206 annual cost me $2K - $4K for an airplane 25 years younger. The typical 170 annual is probably around $750 - $1K, although my own have run $250-$500 depending on whether I've bought spark plugs or not.
Fourth (non)-surprise: Insurance is very different, primarily due to seating capacity. The 170, with $1000K deductible, $1M smooth runs about $1200, while the 206 for the same coverage was about $2400.

For 98% of my flying, the 170 is perfect. For that other 2% I can beg/borrow/rent. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dacker

Post by dacker »

****WARNING RAMBLE AHEAD****
One of my navy buddies bought a Cirrus SR20 after not having flown for a few years after the navy. It is a fantastic airplane for its niche, and Cirrus corp. can be credited for a large part of the revitalization of GA, as well as putting to use some good technology. On the other hand, at $250K+ initial cost, $4K a year insurance, typically $2-8K annuals, potential replacement of some very expensive gee-wiz avionics, a ten year life on the ballistic parachute system, and my estimate of a $30K engine and prop overhaul cost, this is an airplane that WILL cost a buttload to operate over its useful life. He tells me that he spends $30K a year on the note, hangar, insurance,and annual. I didn't bother telling him about the true hourly cost when you consider the overhaul reserves and depreciation. He would probably give up flying again!

These new airplanes are pretty neat, and sometimes when I really want to travel, I think about what a great cross-country machine they are. Then I go out on one of my local pleasure jaunts in the old trusty 170 and I remind myself how much more fun it is flying a VFR only taildragger, and how much more I will have saved by retirement! :D
David
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Retirement? I don't plan to retire. I plan to die trying (to retire.) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Jr.CubBuilder

Re: Engine Rebuild - One Year Later

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

dacker wrote:Now that I feel like I have a dependable airplane I really would like to plan that Alaska trip. I am thinking maybe next summer. I would also like to try to organize a group or at the very least meet some of the Alaska members. Stay tuned.
:) David
Keep me posted, I've been dreaming of a trip up there for years.
Tom Downey

Post by Tom Downey »

I'll never retire again.

I'v worked harder after retirement than before.

So I'll just quit doing the stuff that ain't fun.
Tom Downey A&P-IA
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

I retired last spring. The gravel roads are hard on tires, get about 30,000 out of a set. Put four new tires on a pickup last spring and that was my re-tire-ment. :lol:

I am years away from retiring. Had a guy come through here to smell the land where he grew up, I think he was 79. He was not retired, but said he was temporarily un employed. He would do any thing for the right amount of money.

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
N170CT

Post by N170CT »

Jrcubbuilder..ditto for me too, I am keen to hear more about an Alaskan tour by real airplanes :lol:
chuck
theduckhunter

Post by theduckhunter »

I am years away from retiring. Had a guy come through here to smell the land where he grew up, I think he was 79. He was not retired, but said he was temporarily un employed. He would do any thing for the right amount of money.
We are here for such a short short time............I hope if I can make it to 79 I am focusing a lot more on the eternal than I am the right amount of money.
Robbie Yeaman
Virginia
2993D, now 2980C a C-180