Need IA in Little Rock area for annual/prebuy

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

sloPoke

Need IA in Little Rock area for annual/prebuy

Post by sloPoke »

I'm looking for someone knowledgeable on the 170 in the Littlerock AR. area that can help me look at a 170 for sale there. Trying to do it right and get an annual before the sale. It's N2902D if anyone has any other info on it I'm trying to get as much info as possible. Looks good in photos and seller says no corrosion. Seller was formerly a member of 170 Association.
Thanks,
Charlie Greer
SloPke@earthlink.net
sloPoke

no record of 337

Post by sloPoke »

I ordered the CDROM of all records from FAA. It has 337's for seat and yoke mods but no records for AVCON mod. How do you fix that? Do you have to submit paperwork for mod to feds? It's been flying with an O360 since 1980.
Thanks,
Charlie
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

That's Mike from Cabot, AR.. BTW, we don't take kindly to folks snatching what few 170's we have out of Arkansas and taking them, especially to California. Sorta kidding! Well, I was just in Cabot last week, but I'm out of state for 2 weeks now. How much time do you have?

We saw the airplane in May of 05 at the Petit Jean 170, but can't remember what it looked like. I seem to remember it being a nice plane.
Last edited by AR Dave on Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Charlie this is a good catch on your part.

With out properly executed paperwork the engine modification makes the airplane unairworthy.

How can this be fixed. If and this could be a BIG if. If the STC was bought from AVCON then perhaps you could talk AVCON or who ever owns their STC to give/sell you duplicate paperwork. If the STC was never bought then of course you would definitly be buying it. After getting the proper paperwork an IA would have to inspect the installation to make sure that it was installed per the instructions. He would then execute a 337 to that effect.

Another way you could get the installation approved is to ask the FAA to approve it as your modification. I think most will agree that you have a snowballs chance in hell of having that happen.

A third possibility is that you buy a like STC from someone like Harry Delicker at Delair in Porterville, CA. Then change the installation to match Delickers STC and execute the paperwork as a new installation. I don't even know if this is an option and would depending on what differences of equipment and hardare where actually used and what is called for in the Delicker STC.

I just did some research here on the forum to find this thread: http://cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3300 which seems to indicate Delicker now owns the AVCON conversion.
Harry Dellicker, Del-Air, 2121 S. Wildcat Way, Porterville, CA 93257. Phone: 559-784-9440
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Boy that plane in the background makes this one look sharp!
sloPoke

Post by sloPoke »

Thanks for the quick replies. I think he has the STC, but either it didn't get filed with the feds back in '80 or it was put in the wrong file in OKC. Just wondering how to straighten it out since it didn't come up with the other mods.
Don't worry about it leaving AR - I'm planning on doing quite a bit of friend/ relative visiting around the country with it, so the odds are that it'll be back at least for a visit.
Charlie
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If he has the STC, and if it has been assigned to the aircraft, then a form 337 should have been completed, one copy sent to OKC, and one copy in the aircraft logs/records. That's all you'll need, is the aircraft records copy. If you wish, you can re-submit a copy to the FAA in OKC with a cover letter explaining that the offical records appear to have lost it.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)