Requirements for Calendar Photos

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

doug8082a

Requirements for Calendar Photos

Post by doug8082a »

I’ve had numerous photo submissions for the calendar (including new ones for 2007 - thank you all very much!) – some of which were usable, some of which were not. Although we’ve discussed what is required for a calendar photo in other threads, I thought I’d post the requirements centrally, so all could reference it easier in the future.

General requirements:
The printer requires the image to be a resolution of 300 dpi (dots per inch) when sized to 11” x 8.5”. An image of this size probably occupies 2mb – 3mb on your hard drive. Since resolution is inversely proportional to size, an image that is 300 dpi sized to 5.5” x 4.75” becomes 150 dpi when enlarged to 11” x 8.5”. This means that that “really great pic” you may have as your wallpaper on your computer probably won’t work because it is probably 72 dpi or 96 dpi or 150 dpi and 2” x 3” or thereabouts. The fact that the image occupies the entire screen is a function of Windows (or other operating system) enlarging it electronically. Despite the fact that it may “look great” IT WILL NOT WORK unless it is a high resolution image (i.e. 300 dpi or greater).

Digital Images:
If you are taking digital pictures make sure that you are taking a high resolution image that will meet the resolution/size requirements mentioned above. If you do that, the image will be usable.

Print Images:
If you have a print photo, you can scan it and specify the resolution and size at the time the scanner creates the digital image. If you do not have a scanner, I can do it for you. I have the capability to scan print, negatives, and slides. NOTE: Photographs taken on film with an ASA of 400 or greater may not be usable when scanned and enlarged. This is due to the grain of the film. The faster the film (higher ASA number) the “grainier” the image when it is enlarged. This WILL show up on the scan. I have had several print photos that were taken on ASA 400 that looked fine as a 4 x 6 print, but looked terrible when scanned and enlarged. ASA 200 may work better. Most professional photographers never shoot anything faster than ASA 100 in order to maintain a crisp/clear image when enlarged.

How can I tell if my picture will work?
Open up the picture in a photo editing software. If you have MS Windows, you can open it with “Paint” which comes standard with Windows under the “Accessories” section. You then need to find the menu option that will give you the “Properties” or “Attributes” of the image. This should give you the resolution and size of the image (in Paint, select “Image -> Attributes”). Most software packages will give you the image size in pixels - 300 dpi @ 11” x 8.5” works out to a pixel dimension of approximately 3390 x 2610. If your image is in the vicinity of these dimensions it will probably work.

If all of this is too convoluted or confusing have no fear, you can always contact me to find out if your particular image will work. Just email it to me and I’ll be glad to let you know.

Now, go take some pictures! Be creative! Inflight, on skis, on floats, backcountry, on the ground, or any other interesting setting you come across.
Doug
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

A couple updates to photo requirements:

Picture resolution:
As I mentioned in another post, I now have software that does a much better job at enlarging digital images. This means that I'm able to work with a much broader range of photos than before. I would still encourage people using digital cameras to take pictures at as high a resolution as possible. If you are not sure how to do this, consult the owners manual for the camera. They all have a section on setting resolution.

Dates on Pictures:
Some people have cameras that put a date stamp on the picture. You know the one... that orange/red date that appears in the lower right corner of the picture. If you are going to submit a photo for the calendar PLEASE turn that date feature OFF before taking the photo. This is one thing I cannot edit out of the picture. The only way to remove it is to crop the image and that often results in cutting out part of the picture that I would prefer to keep. I understand that some folks like the feature and that's fine for personal use, but having a bright red date on the photo for the calendar really takes away from the overall image.
Doug
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

If you happen to get a picture that has the stamp on it and definetely want to use it , send it to me and I can take it out. I do aerial photography for a living so have all the stuff to do whatever needs to be done. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Joe
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Yes Doug I can help with removal of dates as well. I've been known to make more than dates disappear or appear in a photo.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Great! Thanks guys, I will definitely take you up on that as the need arises. I can remove the dates, but not in a way that is clean enough that it can't be seen on a professional photo (like the calendar).
Doug
derf62

Calendar

Post by derf62 »

Just a thought.

How about making the dates on your production readable from more than a couple of feet. I find that the light grey used makes it very difficult to see.

Only a suggestion.

FRED
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

N9149A wrote:Yes Doug I can help with removal of dates as well. I've been known to make more than dates disappear or appear in a photo.
Bruce, you didn't happen to pick that talent up in any kind of FEDERAL facility, did you? :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Fred, I'll see what I can do about the colors. The problem is I'm rather limited. The colors aren't my choice. The main reason I'm able to produce the calendars affordably (for our low printing quantities) is that the company I'm using gives you five calendar templates to chose from. Each calendar template is slightly different in layout, type face (font), colors, whether or not you get the small last month/next month calendars, etc. The only way I can change the colors of the dates is to pick a different template. I'll see what they offer for this year.

I could go completely custom if I want, but then the printing costs go through the roof. Also, the minimum order quantity switches from the current 25 to a minimum 500! I doubt I'll be selling 500 calendars this year.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do, but I can't guarantee anything.
Doug