Memory Lapse

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Memory Lapse

Post by 170C »

What was the program that was around previously (may still be) for non pilots to take so they could learn the basics of getting a plane down safely in the event the pilot became disabled? (Was it the pinchhitter course?) Who did that? Is it still available?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It was the "PinchHitter Course" offered at Kelowna and also at certain AOPA events. A different version is also planned for the Galveston Convention.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

Check your local 99S club. They usually offer a pinch hitter course.
170C

Pinchhitter Course

Post by 170C »

Thanks for the reply. I have a close association with a certain female who has expressed some interest in such an activity when the weather cools off so I want to see what is available out there. Guess she thinks I might croak in the air with her in the plane sometime :wink: I have tried to encourage her to do this for a long time (my idea) and no deal. Now its her idea so maybe she will do it :roll: You other married guys know how this works :lol:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
CraigH

Re: Pinchhitter Course

Post by CraigH »

170C wrote: Guess she thinks I might croak in the air with her in the plane sometime :wink: I have tried to encourage her to do this for a long time (my idea) and no deal. Now its her idea so maybe she will do it :roll: You other married guys know how this works :lol:
Frank - my wife has a much simpler approach. She just won't fly with me. :evil:
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

"Pinch Hitter" is actually a registered trademark of AOPA. I'm not sure what their course consists of, although I think there can be some flying involved if the program is taken in conjunction with other AOPA seminars. Sporty's sells a DVD version that you can take at home. http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm ... 264&DID=19

I can't remember the name of the course offered by the Ninety-Nines (something like "Right Seaters Course"), but it basically teaches the non-flyer how to call for help, as well as some basic map interpretation. Karen said the course at Kelowna wasn't what she was expecting; that it was mostly about interpersonal relationships in the cockpit. IMHO, the Ninety-Nines course would be the best place to start.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
170C

Memory Lapse

Post by 170C »

Thanks Miles. Becky reflected the same on the deal in Kelowna. I just remember that AOPA or EAA had that course and it would be held at different locations across the US. I will ck into to 99's deal.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018